Martial arts sessions - discussion and session times.

Kensei

I couldn’t agree more if some one can't remember how to do what they need for a grade then they should not be doing that grade that’s one of the things that makes Martial arts look bad.

But on the other hand don’t worry about what other grades people have but on what you know. I have know people to have called themselves master but they don’t have a clue what they are doing then I have come across people that have only got a brown belt who could make most of us look silly.

The club i train at are dead stingy at grading ppl.Well thats what some of the younger memebrs say anyway :P

The thing is to be wearign that grade you sure as hell should be that standard or it makes a mockery of the grading system.

We have people at our club who have been training for 5 years who are still only Green belt! Then on the other hand a young girl who is very good and has been training less than 4 years and is a Blue belt (2 off black).

Its all abotu standards. If you wear that belt you should be good enough. Also we have brown belts that have been at it for like 7 or 8 years!

Kensei come and look us up

Davemantis,

I take it you are a student/instructor of mantis Kung Fu?

Just wondered where you are based? and if it is accessable via the tram, as thats my only means of transport. Does Mantis have any weapons as i have been interested in learning to use the dao for quite while now. A have a training blade but it has been sat in the corner of my room now for some time as i have only trained in the use of the katana and wakizashi.

Me:cool:

Kensei

I am based in Dinnington just off junction 31 on the M1.

we do have weapons ie Dao, Gim, spear, staff, hook swords, hammers, 3 section staff, hours chopper, kwan do, fong tin lance, daggers, 7* canes as well as double weapons.

Wudang tai chi chuan

Tuesdays 7:15pm-8:45pm

Morning class starting at the end of August

Wednesday 6:45am-7:45am

The source gym @ meadowhall

:clap:NEW CLUB OPEN :clap:

THE AMERICAN KICKBOXING SPORT KARATE ACADEMY

CHIEF INSTRUCTOR :ROB McCARTHY 3rd DAN

ASSOCIATION :BMAKA British Martial Arts & Kickboxing Association CHIEF INSTRUCTOR DAVE LANCASTER CURRENT WORLD CHAMPION US OPEN FLORIDA

ASSOCIATION :EWSKA English Wadoryu Sports Karate Association CHIEF INSTRUCTOR CLAYTON MURRAIN 8th DAN

CLASSES ARE THURSDAY EVENINGS 6pm-7pm

MYRTLE SPRINGS LEISURE CENTRE (DANCE STUDIO)

OVER 23 YEARS AS BOTH STUDENT AND INSTRUCTOR

FORMER BRITISH CHAMPION

FULL INSTRUCTORS INDEMNITY INSURANCE

CRB POLICE CHECKED

FIRST AID CERTIFICTED

5 MEMBERSHIP OPTIONS

FREE SUIT

£3 PER SESSION

FOR MORE DETAILS CALL IN OR VISIT MY SITE

Rob

nice website

I have trained under the same association as you many many moons ago (i.e. under patrick ) on london road.

Paul Bradshaw was my instructor.

Just curious, but what discipline are you british champion and Dave lancaster world champion in?

cheers mate

Fred

p.s. we may have met/trained togetehr in the past

:clap: Hi freddylee hows things i know paul very well as we both trained together when i was alot younger we got our first dan at the same time way back when i was just 12years old before he was an instructor for pat . dave lancaster is currently world champ in light continual u obviously know wot that is ie light contact american rules kickboxing and semi contact stop start ie points fighting. i myself won quite a few comps the british title i won was ewska british national back when the association was huge not like alot of the comps nowadays where u may only have 2 or 3 fights am talkin when they were the comps to be at having around 7 or maybe 8 fights but as u prob know yourself those were the days when comps were comps lol let me know a little more about yourself m8 maybe i do know ya :clap:

Hi people.

I am thinking of joining the wicker camp muay thai gym and noticed that on the website, it says that there are "exercise and bagwork" sessions. Are these classes, ones which allow you to train entirely on the bag as and how you like? Also, I was wondering whether these sessions are available to to the beginers. Oh and also, Is the small excercise gym there, availble for use outside of sessino time and if so, when?

Oh, and one other thing, could anybody give me some information about the boxing gyms in sheffield and what they have in them etc?

Cheers

Ian

:clap: hi ian dont know owt about the wicker gym m8 as that club aint owt to do with me i have a friend of a friend who says its ok the best thing to do m8 when joining any martial arts club is to check out the instructors credentials first and insurance then take a class a good club will let u do this either free of charge or without signing a membership form ok m8 hope that helps u out

:clap:

Hi Ian,

Re the Wicker

The weights room is for members only (those that pay per month rather than per lesson). Ain't been in there mesen as I pay per class but there defintely is one.

The "bag" classes I believe are in the day but are open to anyone. Again I ain't been to one cos I work in the day.

The evening classes are decent though - be prepared for a good sweat mind :D

Hi Rob Akka

Did you ever fight in kickboxing? i.e. Full contact kickboxing?

I have seen Dave lancaster fight before.

I was at that 4 man event:

Mick Blythin V Dale lowe V Dave Lancaster V Adrian Dalby

I distinctly remember adrian dalby taking more dives than a footy player :P

Then again thats semi contact for you i guess.

Ian Harris

most boxing gyms just let you use a bag and get on with it.

The kickboxing gym i train at is set in an old fashioned boxing gym environment.

there is a weights area and after the classes you can just get onto one of the bags and train away.

Another way is get pally with the instructor and he often opens the gym in the daytime e.g. if he himself has a fight coming up or if one of the figthers do.

The bags,.. there are:

4 normal bags, An Angled heavy bag (suitable for uppercuts etc too), A "body bag" which you can attack head body and legs its shaped like a big body. Theres also a Concrete bag(for shin conditioning) , a maize ball, a speed ball and a ceiling to floor ball.

every class starts with a warm up followed by a bag circuit on the different stations.

Our instructor keeps the classes small too. Only say 10-15 people per class maximum.

He prefers it like that. Keeps the standards higher with more individual one on one time.

Rob Akka

Pop down and see us in the week. Ill introduce myself personally. If you didnt know me beofre youll have found a new friend.

Yours in martial arts.

Fred.

P.S do you remember the following:

Claude evans, Martin (big black guy ), Dannu Lee, Fitzroy Willis?