Martial arts sessions - discussion and session times.

Originally posted by phphilz

Try Judo Groundfighting/Wrestling

Using skills found in Groundwork side of Judo, Brazilian Jujitsu and General Wrestling.

The Source Health Club

Tuesday 6 - 7.15

emphasis is on developing skill and technique, email address is phphilz@hotmail if you want any more details

Please can you elaborate on what you mean by 'general' wrestling.

My interests lie with Submission wrestling and Greco wrestling.

Originally posted by Lickszz

General wrestling probably means the kind of wrestling that would get you a job in the WWE or some other wrestling company.

Could anyone tell me what happened to the combat zone that use to be somewhere near Bramall Lane I believe? They taught Jeet Kune Do and Philipino arts.

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers.

They now live out at The Source - look for postings under the name of jay_kd - thats the bloke who runs it...

Cheers for that.

The class will be Groundfighting using skills used in the Groundwork side of Judo, also Brazilian Jujitsu and Grappling side of Shootfighting.

Class will open so will be Gi or no Gi, depending what the individual prefers.

Hope this helps

Gonna try a session at Brians later this week, anyone know what time the classes are?

ANVIL - Dronfields to outa my way otherwise I'd try it. dont think i met you b4, aint done much martial arts in shef... yet!

I'm interested in training in either Jeet Kune Do or Muay Thai. I use to do Wado Ryu on London Road. Although much of the training seemed to be aimed at self defence in street situations there was still quite a lot of Kata to do and the sparring was more on the sport side.

Could someone who trains in either of these arts please give me their views as to how effective these two arts are in street situations.

Having tried both of them I would say very and very! The training in Muay Thai is a bit more sport oriented and has lots of fitness work and sparring so you will be able to keep going in a fight (untill you have done a few rounds you have NO idea how exhausting sparring is and full on fighting is worse!) and know which techniques work for you. The draw back of Muay Thai is that, apart from some neck wrestling, it has no real grappling componant which you would have to fill in from elsewhere. The JKD (and I could be wrong here I haven't done much of it) is a bit lacking in the sparring componant (though techniques are in many cases done full power against pads) but is more rounded in terms of covering weapons and grappling. I believe there also is (or maybe was?) a shoot fighting club meeting at the 393 club (details here) which is a combintation of submission wrestling and muay thai and may suit nicely as well?

Cheers evildrneil

I've got quite a lot of info on JKD and does appear to be more focused on self preservation.

As for the Muay Thai I've seen some footage of matches and what not and does seem to be quite demanding which is not a problem. The attacks/defence of the art also seems very aggresive which is also a plus in the sense of defending yourself against any would be attacker.

However, compared to JKD, it does appear not to train throughout all the ranges, for example grappling.

Perhaps I'll do a couple of lessons in them both before I decide.

First thanks for the complement from Freddylee and evildrneil

Neil as to class's just in Filipino Martial Arts, you will have to ask the guys at the Source, and if enough people want it i would teach.

Lee97 i used to have The Combat Zone, I now teach at The Source at Meadowhall, details are on this Thread

Im Bound to say Jeet Kune Do will be effective in a street situation, the thing is any Martial Art will help in some way, as long as you know how to apply what you have,also it's not the Martial Art that works its the Martial Artist, ALL Arts have a plus side and a minus side.

For me JKD gives me an approach to Martial Arts that covers what i need and want.

In my class's stundents will spar in all the ranges i:e stand-up(kickboxing) Grappling (stand-up and on the ground) also with the stick or knife

I try to cover all the ranges that may happen in a fight, some of what i teach i have used in lets say a street situation (work related)

If anyone wants any more details about JKD, The Filipino Martial Arts(which isn't just stick fighting) PM me or ask on here and i will try to help

p.s

Freddylee you still have to tell me your name, and say hello to Farhad for me.

Train hard train safe

Mark

[email protected]

Originally posted by Lickszz

I've just called about the shoot wrestling club and they concentrate on the grappling which is submission wrestling based - they train at the 393 on Monday and Thursday from 7.30 onwards (the two nights of the week that I can't make - typical huh!)