Laws to stay on

BRIAN Laws will be given the chance to inspire a Wednesday revival.

last night's defeat does NOT signal the end of his reign.

There had been speculation in some quarters that, after consecutive defeats against West Brom and Reading, a bad night at Doncaster could be the final straw.

But I believe, in fact, that the club regard the current poor run as something that can be corrected by him.

The team also inspired hope last night by giving an improved performance though their sequence without a win was harshly extended to eight matches.

There was also evidence last night of backing for Laws from supporters.

He still knows that, ultimately, results will influence his future - but he is confident they will improve.

"There's no doom and gloom in that dressing room, just total commitment. What I've seen out there (in last night's game] tells me we'll turn it around," he said, looking forward to Saturday's match at Leicester who lost 3-1 at home to Bristol City last night.

"We'll pick ourselves up. We go into the next game and we'll work even harder to turn it around - that's the determination I've seen on the faces of the players."

He praised last night's backing from the fans: "Sheffield Wednesday supporters have been brilliant with me for the last three years.

"It would be easy for them to turn. There's a few of them that have turned; I can understand that, because the results aren't pretty.

"We've got to believe. The supporters believe we can do it; they were outstanding."

Captain Darren Purse, restored to the side, said that speculation about the manager had been inevitable in view of the club's positio:

"I think we set ourselves high expectations at the beginning of the season; maybe we put too much pressure on ourselves.We have to stick together now. Everyone seems to have an opinion on the gaffer's situation.

"The most important people are the ones who run the club; I think they can see from the performance (against Doncaster] that everybody is pulling in the right direction, and hopefully the turning point is just around the corner."

The fact that some wednesday fans are even thinking about getting rid of Laws suprises me. I think it would be disastrous.

Why don't you put a poll up on similar lines as alty's about strafford it would be a good yard stick to see how the fans feel.

fans always critise managers, in our case id say most of us have critisised in the heat of the moment, getting in form a 4-0 defeat is not easy to swallow. but shows that our fans are fully behind us with the support last night, fantastic, made some right noise inside that ground.

UTO

Its a catch 22 really.

Keep him and they go down and they will all be up in arms saying he should have gone.

Sack him and they go down and they will be up in arms saying they should have kept him.

Hes done a good job, not a great job what with his hands being tied most of the time and Laws should be allowed to sink or swim for the rest of the season.

Dont tell Alty but i think the problem is Strapon :o

The feel good factor is well and truly over and I actually think they are worse off now than when they had no chairman after Allen left

BRIAN Laws will be given the chance to inspire a Wednesday revival.

last night's defeat does NOT signal the end of his reign.

There had been speculation in some quarters that, after consecutive defeats against West Brom and Reading, a bad night at Doncaster could be the final straw.

But I believe, in fact, that the club regard the current poor run as something that can be corrected by him.

the turning point is just around the corner."

Of course he should stay on. He hasn't suddenly become a bad manager. Maybe one or two of his team line-ups could have been different (hindsight is great isn't it) but all in all I'd trust him to turn us round. I also think that Lee Stafford should take a long look in the mirror. I'm grateful that he has turned around the unhappy atmosphere at the club and made it a club that wants to involve the fans, but I don't see him as the figurehead that we need as a chairman. I think we should have someone with the right business and football contacts, who can produce a definite agenda for investments rather than generate lots of half hearted enquiries.

keep him for the time being & see what january's transfer market does or doesnt bring

keep him for the time being & see what january's transfer market does or doesnt bring

But surely the board will know if there is any money for jan signings- if there isn't then they will be looking to get rid?

OR!! maybe they is money they might get rid so the new man will have something to spend????

2 more defeats and he is gone i think- wednesday won't risk starting the new year in the bottom 3 with no money to spend.

I trust the Radio Sheffield team will allow me my say, even though I no longer attend games as I am terminally ill? I passed the old FA Badge in 1973 and believe me or not, I need about 15 minutes to make a judgement on a player.

I think Brian Laws is a decent bloke - they can't afford to pay him off. He received his list of players in August and it's rather like the teacher getting his list of Physics Set 3 pupils. There is a lot of scope for improvement but it is unlikely to happen. The Wednesday squad is poor, Clarke and Johnson just don't deliver regularly. Laws recently told the AGM that he had contacted Wenger about loanees, none available but Lansberry at Watford looks very good. Other clubs have similar problems when it comes to quality, take Preston's Mellor when it comes to a strange shape and screw ankle. Blackpool have other below par players like Euell, Burgess and Adam. Clarke does impress.

So Laws struggles on as best he can. I am wearying of his sound bytes however re-confidence. The reason players are devoid of confidence is because they have nothing to be confident about - their skill factor is low,

I don't know whether they will turn it round, draws are of little use, but I thought they were lucky to be promoted in Cardiff.

I think Lee Strafford has done some good work at the club and has made the atmosphere infinitely better than it was under the previous regime.

I watched the Doncaster goal on BBC this mornng and thought it was much better than that described on last night's commentary.

The way Sharp twisted his neck muscles to meet the ball was excellent, so was the play down the flank. I notice Paul Strachan is not pulling up many trees either! Wednesday need cash and it doesn't look forthcoming. The other downside is that anyone good, doesn't seem to want to come to S6.

Edited by CHAIRBOY

Its a catch 22 really.

Keep him and they go down and they will all be up in arms saying he should have gone.

Sack him and they go down and they will be up in arms saying they should have kept him.

Hes done a good job, not a great job what with his hands being tied most of the time and Laws should be allowed to sink or swim for the rest of the season.

Dont tell Alty but i think the problem is Strapon :o

The feel good factor is well and truly over and I actually think they are worse off now than when they had no chairman after Allen left

Definately not. Fans had given up then, they weren't bothered what we were doing. Least the passion is back in the fans bellies.

Definately not. Fans had given up then, they weren't bothered what we were doing. Least the passion is back in the fans bellies.
plenty of passion last night at donny

A lot have given up going this year, as can be seen by the comments on here.

plenty of passion last night at donny

Especially from Billy.