Old woman pushing in a bus queue

other day I was waiting for a bus. Because the bus was late (no surprise there) the queue for the bus was long and I was at the front of it. When the bus turned up an old woman that was stood at the back of the queue rushed passed everyone and like it was her god giving right got on the bus first :huh: I found that so rude, am sure me and all the other idiots that have been waiting for the stupid bus for over 20mins would have happilly waited an extra 20sec for this old woman to get on first but it was just the way she did it that cheesed me off!!:rant:

I don't blame an elderley woman pushing past a lot of idiots, to get on a stupid bus.

When ever I have been downtown and caught a bus outside the courts, there seems to be no such thing as a queue.

There is always a sort of 'queue', then a whole load of, usually, young men hanging about at the front ready to push their way on to the bus first.

I f an old person seems to have 'lost ' manners they may have had more to put up with than yourself.

Rubydazler, my questions are not directed at you.

I would agree with you about the younger end of the scale. But there is one thing that is important you are forgetting, if the kids of today cannot respect the needs of others-especially the elderly-then they have absolutely no respect for themselves.

On a forum, you can't pick and choose who's going to answer your posts. I answered because I felt I had something to say. I wouldn't want to let anyone push in front of me in a queue, no matter who they were. It's just courtesy to say something, even if it's "I feel faint, do you mind if I push in"? Or "Do you want this bus"? if you think they're going to let it go by, which has happened to me in the past.

As to your comment about the young of today, they can't be expected to give way to other people, elderly or not, if they've never been taught by their mentors that it's the right thing to do. How are they expected to know, if neither their parents or teachers have told them? It doesn't come naturally, it's learned behaviour, imo.

She's 70, give her a rest, she's sick of all this nonsense now. I bet she's seen enough queues in her lifetime to feed a horse. Show some respect for your elders. They fought for your freedom to not queue when you're that age. Take a taxi, moron. ££££ but no queue!!!!!!!!!

How has a 70 year old fought for the op's freedom to queue?

If you mean someone who is in their 70's now would have fought in a war, can I ask which one??? They'd have been little tots in WWII...

From reading your post, it would seem that you are most ****** off with the bus turning up 20 mins late. If the bus had turned up on time and the elderly lady pushed her way to the front-you probably would not have been so irritated. Furthermore maybe the elderly person pushed to the front because she needed a seat ( for health reasons) these days young people will not give up a seat to a elderly person.

I live in a country were it is standard to allow the elderly and pregnant women first at the bank,chemist,post office,bus,supermarket or anywhere there is a waiting system in place. It does not **** me off because one day it could be my mother, father or my pregnant wife that needs to use this speed service. But I must admit if I had to wait for a bus and it was 20 mins late I would not be happy when it turned up and I would be ready to vent my frustration on the nearest and easiest.

Allisa, you really need to think why you don't understand the basics in life- when you are retired and you have spent your working life contributing to the system and bringing up a family with a moral spine to respect and adhere to the civil codes. Then at that point you too may walk to the front of the queue because you have earned your call.

Let me ask you a question

Would you allow your favorite singer to get on the bus before you?

Would you allow your favorite footballer to get on the bus before you?

Would you allow your favorite person from X factor to get on the bus before you?

Well if you knew the life stories of some of our elderly citizens and what they have endured - they have contributed far more to our society than your favorite.

I think both of you are missing the point of the OP. The OP was more angry about the rudeness of the old lady, and said that, if she had asked, she would have been quite happy to allow her to the front of the queue.

I agree with the OP - people shouldnt have to put up with rudeness - from whatever age.

And yes, i do have respect for the elderly - I will be one myself one day!

I think both of you are missing the point of the OP. The OP was more angry about the rudeness of the old lady, and said that, if she had asked, she would have been quite happy to allow her to the front of the queue.

I agree with the OP - people shouldnt have to put up with rudeness - from whatever age.

And yes, i do have respect for the elderly - I will be one myself one day!

From reading Fhardy- I am of the opinion that the frustration is at the bus being 20 mins late and the old lady is a side issue.

On a forum, you can't pick and choose who's going to answer your posts. I answered because I felt I had something to say. I wouldn't want to let anyone push in front of me in a queue, no matter who they were. It's just courtesy to say something, even if it's "I feel faint, do you mind if I push in"? Or "Do you want this bus"? if you think they're going to let it go by, which has happened to me in the past.

As to your comment about the young of today, they can't be expected to give way to other people, elderly or not, if they've never been taught by their mentors that it's the right thing to do. How are they expected to know, if neither their parents or teachers have told them? It doesn't come naturally, it's learned behaviour, imo.

Do they have grand-parents,parents or a aunty or uncle or maybe someone they consider to be shown respect. I think you are just making excuses for these street urchins.

What's changed is the consideration that the young always used to have for the old. We were trained from a young age to show respect and offer a seat, or ask the very elderly to go first. Nowadays, as far as a lot of the younger end are concerned, it's survival of the fittest and they're encouraged by their doting parents and teachers to take up seats that should be occupied by a senior person, imo.

You just hit the nail on the head Ruby. Unfortunately we still live in a Thatcher like world, "I'm alright Jack" mentality.

People are amazed these days if you simply hold a door open for them instead of letting it go in their face.

The new self labelled middle class really consists mainly of pond life !! :rant: :rant:

I don't think it's just the elderly, people in general seem to be loosing their manners these days, for example when you hold a door open for someone and they just walk straight through, no thank you, not even a smile. And like if you let someone through a tight gap first when driving and they just plough through with no thanks etc.

Manners cost nothing but you'd think they cost the earth for some people.

When i was pregnant the bus was always packed when it got to my stop so i ended up standing all the way to work every day. Only on one occasion did i get offered someone's seat and i was that overwhelmed with pregnancy emotion i started crying!!!

I don't think it's just the elderly, people in general seem to be loosing their manners these days, for example when you hold a door open for someone and they just walk straight through, no thank you, not even a smile.

Smiling hurts some people's faces. Be more considerate towards people who don't smile. Also, saying thank you is trite and void of sincerity, like singing "happy birthday".

Manners cost nothing but you'd think they cost the earth for some people.

Actually, if you read the news you'd realise that the cost of manners has gone up significantly. We are in a recession you know.

.... and there lies the problem with society today. People don't say anything, people get away with acting the way they do and carry on doing it

I speak my mind in public in a very good manner which i feel is needed.

I stick up for the people in the right! but often get people looking at me as if i've commited a crime by telling the truth.