One day sales at Channing Hall, anyone remember?

Back in the late 70's early 80's anyone remember the one day sales at Channing Hall on Surrey St.

Some were geniune sales by a company called Emkay if i remember right who sold watch's, walkmans, clocks etc and even had their own shop at one point on Charles St opposite Suggs.

Others were mock auctions where you bought 'an empty bag' for £1 that normally contained a pen and this was your passport to purchase larger items.

Yes that's the place where we bought our first video recorder from a great place for your Christmas bargains.

I remember going to a art exibition there.Lots of water colours and oil paintings were sold by local artists. My old neighbour was a very talented landscape artist, and sold quite a lot of her work there.

I think the firm was based in Blackpool and they certainly sold good stuff. In 1979 I bought a bedside digital clock/alarm (mains model) for a fiver at a Channing Hall sale and it's been telling me the time and waking me up ever since. And the digital watch I bought for £1 at the Charles Street shop in 1985 is also still going..:)

I remember going to a art exibition there.Lots of water colours and oil paintings were sold by local artists. My old neighbour was a very talented landscape artist, and sold quite a lot of her work there.

I bought a rather modern "New York skyline" oil painting there, our kids thought it rubbish at the time, now it's been re-framed and they've grown up with it they like it.

The artist's signature is John ? (we can't read it), it must be a local artist as it was a local artists' sale, I'd love to know who painted it.