Big hitters of 50s and 60s

So many people from that era seem to have died while relatively young.

Mick Critch/Mick Cowan/Roger Nutbrown/Mick Holdsworth/Martin Conneally/Hessian[Josh]and my old pal Carol Bishop.

All gone but caertainly not forgotten.

Certainly that is a depressing list, although I only knew of a couple,or so, of them. But they all died too young. I remember Carol, she lived down Hillsborough on Regent Court flats. Couldn't be classed has a 'big hitter' apart from clouting a tennis ball. She was damn good and a looker with it. I remember her and Mick Cowan were an item for a while. I read on another thread that she was gone. What a tragic waste.

Just taking a little licence here, but I am sure that Mick Cowan wouldn't mind. I think that if he saw this thread he would say, "Don't any of you daft buggers actually know anyone who is still alive?"

Tony Mckenna is still a regular at owlerton dogs, he had a bad stroke about 10 or so years back but is ok now.

Him and Cowan were Bomber Grahams managers in his early professional days.

Mack is a greyhound trainer now.

so they eventually let him back in .you will know of the formica story then alex?:hihi: i heard he was barred from there for a while .these stories will live on and on long after we have gone bring back the good old days

so they eventually let him back in .you will know of the formica story then alex?:hihi: i heard he was barred from there for a while .these stories will live on and on long after we have gone bring back the good old days

I was there on the night of the formica as you call it, I backed the winner.

I don't remember Mack actually getting banned.

I was there on the night of the formica as you call it, I backed the winner.

I don't remember Mack actually getting banned.

so you know the story then alex ?priceless

:hihi:

so you know the story then alex ?priceless

:hihi:

We had a good crowd at the dogs in those days, bill rogers now deceased, brian williams now deceased, tony flint, miles rogers [was only a lad then], tubby alan [bill rogers runner] tony mckenna, brian scotford, sam salvin, frank bramall now deceased, tommy machin [tommy the tailor].

We all used to go to swiggies or the grosvener hotel after.

Loads of other names I have missed.

Hi Alex i didnt know Jerrald Mullens had died he was pally with Jimmy Childs who died Oct i think this year .Another guy to be reconed with was Desmond Offara if i have got the spelling right ..

does anybody know a jack scarbrough used to frequent the wicker a lot , not a big man in size but was fearless and not afraid to take on more than one

no one mentioned henry jenkinson nicknamed garth,dont remember anyone getting the best of him.also kierran brown,dave lee,bernard leedham and dont forget big ada she was awesome.the calverts were lightweights.

Henry is my uncle and he passed away at home,(think it was dagnem road??)

Dennis Hobson used to speak highly of him and told me of a few scraps n scrapes they were involved in.Henry was a big man and used to bash em up in the Elm-Tree.

the big hitters did not go around bashing anybody up,they were used to collect bad debts by the so called business people of the day.they only got involved in fights when chancers and wannabee hot heads thought they could make a name for themselves.henry was a great guy and i miss him every day most of the time he got into trouble by sticking up for other people.

does anybody know a jack scarbrough used to frequent the wicker a lot , not a big man in size but was fearless and not afraid to take on more than one

I remember having a pint or two with Jack in the 90s if its the same one. A lot of people were terrified of him, Ive seen blokes twice his size run like hell from him but I always found him to be a lovely bloke.

Edited by Jabberwocky
Damn typos

that sounds like jack, good bloke he is but not seen him for years , he was the double of charles bronson