Big hitters of 50s and 60s

Would that be the same time as you had your Red & Black striped flat cap?

with my barnet i couldnt get one to fit lol. they wore them for a short while and once you saw the caps appear you vanished quick

hiya

i saw jack hudson today in asda around 12.30, he still looks the same to me as i suppose he's nearly 80 i'm 74 myself and suppose i've known him nearly 70 years we were brought up on the same street his mum had a little shop.we went to the same school springfield.

Billy is my Dad. He passed away last Wednesday evening at home after 6 year fight with Alzheimers. was Cared for throughout by Mum Paula throughout. Thanks Mum and you'll always be my champ Dad. RIP Neill x

On 18/01/2011 at 15:43, cuttsie said:

My father George Stagg worked with Albert Green in the 60's. I believe three of them worked together the other was a bloke called Eric. 

On 10/12/2009 at 19:38, crookesey said:

Just taking a little licence here, but I am sure that Mick Cowan wouldn't mind. I think that if he saw this thread he would say, "Don't any of you daft buggers actually know anyone who is still alive?"

Was Carole Bishop a good tennis player ?

Names no one as come up with are Ernest slinn  billy franks Denis  Gorman  mick and Brian fizpattric  Keith stocks the first name of the smedlys is billy and jack  mick Staley all good lads 

1 hour ago, Slinny said:

Names no one as come up with are Ernest slinn  billy franks Denis  Gorman  mick and Brian fizpattric  Keith stocks the first name of the smedlys is billy and jack  mick Staley all good lads 

I'm still in contact with Mick Fitzpatrick who is Brian's [Boxer's] brother, Chriss Wilder ex Sheffield United Manager is their Nephew, Brian was a great fella his favourite saying was "if you want to keep a friend never borrow never lend" their Mick and Brian's Son Asa  always laugh about it, Brian even had it on a plaque on his wall.

Mick Staley [Bonehead] dropped dead at the car boot he was a very strong Bloke.

Edited by Alextopman

G. The hardest big hitter I saw in the sixties was Shaun Doyle from Barnsley , He boxed at the City Hall on a regular basis, he was a welter weight around 144 lbs ( our weight lol)  .

Shaun fought Fred Powney at the city hall on two occasions and I saw Both fights which were top drawer bouts with both boxers fighting to exhaustion .

I forget who I went with to those bouts but probably Rod Goodinson who pulled a good punch himself (ont Manor top that is ) . Shaun Doyle has gone on to own one of the biggest security firm s in the North and every time I see a site with Shaun Doyle security sign on the fence I remember him and his great fights at the City Hall .

A proper big hitter was Shaun just like our very own Clinton Woods who was a very underestimated World light heavy weight champion.

Real hard men those two .

P.S. Lets not forget the Calverts and Binney's  from Darnall who we both have had the pleasure of knowing and working with, I do not remember if I have mentioned Albert Binney in my Sheffield ordinary people blog ,if not I will put that  right as Albert was a true hero and no one who knows his war time story can deny that there is not a bigger hitter than him .

Another one was Eddie Lax from Woodhouse he's still a Legend in that part of Sheffield, middleweight in the 40's.

Hi Brian fizz’s was right in saying never borrow never lend my dad told me same thing when I left school   Brian best mate was Kieth law nick name bawser  and buster ford  Brian fords   Brother Neville was a good guy  god bless him 

1 hour ago, Slinny said:

Hi Brian fizz’s was right in saying never borrow never lend my dad told me same thing when I left school   Brian best mate was Kieth law nick name bawser  and buster ford  Brian fords   Brother Neville was a good guy  god bless him 

I remember when tha borrowed my Matchless G 9 500 twin and did ninety M.P.H . on it on White Lane

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

I remember when tha borrowed my Matchless G 9 500 twin and did ninety M.P.H . on it on White Lane

Saw one for sale last year starting bid £3000.

How much was it in those days?.

Hi George I remember your bike ,I took it on to ridgeway and frightened my life out did t not have mine long could not afford to keep it .I took it back where I got it from somewhere up London road . Can you remember my first car  a ford prefect  it ran away on its own down a hill and ended up in a scrap yard  then that 1956 Morris Oxford it started to make a right noise you said put some thick oil in it I did then the big end went  another fine mess stanly