Big hitters of 50s and 60s

alex

the brian williams mentioned was he off parson cross and went to st petes and father was landlord of the beagle

That was a lot of years ago but yes that was Brian.

Anyone remember Arnie and Arthur Marshall who used to knock around the boozers on London Road always seem to remember thinking they were big hitters when I was young.

Also remember a bloke called Dennis Seeds who was a bit handy, think he moved to Doncaster in the late 70's

cheers alex

knew brian well from his school days allways wondered what became of him

sorry to hear he,s no longer with us

Anyone remember Arnie and Arthur Marshall who used to knock around the boozers on London Road always seem to remember thinking they were big hitters when I was young.

Also remember a bloke called Dennis Seeds who was a bit handy, think he moved to Doncaster in the late 70's

I remember the Marshall family well they used to latch on to many a pub and take over Railway Bramall Ln the old Lansdowne London rd Cricketers Bramall Ln to name a few do you also remember Johnny "WILLY" Ward from the same area had a name as a big hitter around the 60s-70s time down the Lane i believe Willy now walks with a stick and used to live at one time on the tower blocks at the bottom of Cemetery rd but not seen him personally for many a year now.

As a minnow, nay, less, I remember Harry Hodges and Hobbos dad having their dinner in Ethels cafe on Shirland Lane. Once, Harry produced a matched pair of Holland and Holland shotguns, made to his specifications, amazing! It was said that Harry could neither read or write, (but he could count money). Diamond bloke.

As a minnow, nay, less, I remember Harry Hodges and Hobbos dad having their dinner in Ethels cafe on Shirland Lane. Once, Harry produced a matched pair of Holland and Holland shotguns, made to his specifications, amazing! It was said that Harry could neither read or write, (but he could count money). Diamond bloke.

I remember Harry well his yard was on Tinsley Park Rd i also think Old man Hobbo did a bit of debt collecting for him at one time also for Jimmy Childs who had a yard on Carlise st opposite Newall rd.

Dont mess wi em, was the message, and well understood, Reight!

No one mentions any girls from shiregreen in the 50s come on guys.

Most were bullies but here are a few names from the past /ray morgan/mick cowan/albert green/jack hudson/denis hobson/billy and ronnie calvert/mick critch.

I include boxing big hitters.

what about lol knight, or the lowthers?

I was out with Dennis Hobson last night, he looks really well and is unbelievably fit for his age.

I was out with Dennis Hobson last night, he looks really well and is unbelievably fit for his age.

How old is he now Alex? my late Uncle knew him from back in the 1950's, if we are talking about the same man.

How old is he now Alex? my late Uncle knew him from back in the 1950's, if we are talking about the same man.

He's over 70 now at a guess about 72.

He is doing a boxing promotion in Belfast next week with his son Dennis.