The maw family in Sheffield

Sorry for duplicate posts today, but I’m very new to this, and still newer to computers.

To answer your post denlin – The Maw brothers coal business was in Woodhouse and as far as I remember they always had red lorries (could be wrong). Also I don’t know anyone from High Greave. I think the one with the blue lorry is W Maw and are based in Rotherham. My dad was WT Maw, and the name on the lorry was Maw Bros, coal and haulage.

Maw Bros from Woodhouse ,always a red lorry, it used to deliver to my parents house. Understand they were a very well known family around Woodhouse.

I know of a Tom Maw, married to lady called Betty,he would be in his 70s now and lives on Windmill Lane. He has a son and a daughter. Daughter is called Carol, forget was his sons name is

I think they lived on Hinde House Lane? The son was called Steven. Tom was the President of the Firth Park WMC for years. Dunno where they are now though...

I think they lived on Hinde House Lane? The son was called Steven. Tom was the President of the Firth Park WMC for years. Dunno where they are now though...

Still there I believe, I saw Tom last year at my dads funeral

On my Grandmothers side of my tree I have Andrew Maw 1625, born in Haxey, Lincs. This part of the family lived in that area until c1800 when a branch named Tinker came to Sheffield, mid 1800s the Tinkers married into the Woodward family, this being my Great Grandmothers name.

This is also my family on my grandfathers side..

Ellen Tinker Woodward was my grandfathers mother..:)

I know there is a Maw family who live on or around the Manor / Woodthorpe. Quite a large family, and the ones I know are in their late 20's and early 30's. Can only remember a few names, Stacey, Dean and Shane, I think.

I know there is a Maw family who live on or around the Manor / Woodthorpe. Quite a large family, and the ones I know are in their late 20's and early 30's. Can only remember a few names, Stacey, Dean and Shane, I think.

I used to go to school with Shane Maw. :)

Hi, as I said earlier I am originally a Maw. The coal merchant on yew lane was my Grandad Frank Maw seniors brother. His name was Wilf. He lived with his sister, Florance. She had a son called Athony. He was eventually left the coal business. My Dad, Frank Maw junior worked for his uncle in his youth, till he bought his own round.

The Maws in Penistone and Chapeltown, are brothers and sisters, and there father was Arthur, also a brother of Frank and Wilf.The others I believe were called : Emmerson, Ephraim, Alf, Herbert, Minnie and Annie. There was another rother called Ernest who died young. I do have a list of some of their offspring. Their Father was called Marmaduke. If anybody wants any more info email cathylomas@live.co.uk

Hi, as I said earlier I am originally a Maw. The coal merchant on yew lane was my Grandad Frank Maw seniors brother. His name was Wilf. He lived with his sister, Florance. She had a son called Athony. He was eventually left the coal business. My Dad, Frank Maw junior worked for his uncle in his youth, till he bought his own round.

The Maws in Penistone and Chapeltown, are brothers and sisters, and there father was Arthur, also a brother of Frank and Wilf.The others I believe were called : Emmerson, Ephraim, Alf, Herbert, Minnie and Annie. There was another rother called Ernest who died young. I do have a list of some of their offspring. Their Father was called Marmaduke. If anybody wants any more info email cathylomas@live.co.uk

florences son anthony has a son called tony & a daughter called debbie, their surname being scarlett

florences son anthony has a son called tony & a daughter called debbie, their surname being scarlett

Yes that right, Anthony and my Dad both worked on their uncles coal round. I remember going as a young girl. Uncle Wilf had chickens running in and out of the kitchen!

Maws also lived at High Green. They were related to the Ecclesfield Maws.

Edited by Nigel Womersle

i knew the maw family lived on tideswell road mick maw is about my age 58 i bought a caravan of him about 5yrs ago think he owns or part owns swallownest caravans hope this helps

Hi Graham, did you live next door to the Maw family on Tideswell road ?

hi harleyman no i lived at the other side of tideswell road no 59 mick and his family lived barnsley road end but i used to knock about with them if remember he had a brother plus 1 or 2 sisters im talking about 40 odd years ago did you know mick well ? if so you might know me