The maw family in Sheffield

There are a few in Chapeltown and highgreen. Used to be coal merchants and hauliers.

I used to live next door to Harold and Val Maw in Chapeltown... Their son was Nigel

He's been dead a few years now, but used to be a Wilf Maw that lived on City Road, he ran a coal delivery lorry business with his brother from a yard some where near the Junction pub at Woodhouse.

You might find this site useful:

http://www.family-maw.co.uk/ There are lots of Sheffield census images on that site.

Here is an MI from Walkley Cemetery:

Grave D92

To the dear memory of / CATHARINE / the beloved wife of / FRANCIS MAW (of Crabtree) / who was taken to her rest Sep 27th 1909 / aged 53 years / “Blessed are the pure in heart / For they shall see God” /

Also of the above named / FRANCIS MAW / who entered into rest March 1st 1913 / aged 61 years / “I shall be satisfied when I awake / with thy likeness”

This Francis MAW was a clerk in a steel company.

Hugh

(Friends of Walkley Cemetery)

There was a large Maw family that lived in Hastilar Road South Woodthorpe during at least the 70's and 80's. They lived on the left hand side as you walked from the Woodthorpe shops towards the Springwood Pub. I think it was a corner house. I seen to remember there being quite a few children, I can visualise a few boys (they were all smallish lads that always had very short hair) and a girl called Wendy Maw. Not sure if this helps but hope that it does.

Edit: I have had my thinking cap on these are the names I can remember, Tony, Alan, Steven, Gary, Dean & Darren not sure if these last two might have been twins.

My step dad is stephen and he is the eldest.

there were no twins :)

feel free to pm me for more info

I believe there was a Maw family living in a big house in it's own grounds off Darwin Lane.

The grounds were split up when they moved out and the house and somee land was sold to William Barlow.

He converted the house into a residential Home which now has a drive entrance on Darwin Lane opposite King Edward's Lower School.

The Original gated entrance is on the adjoining Ivy Park Road.

Hope this helps.

My grandmother was a Maw. I found the first trace of the family in Sheffield on the 1881 census living 2 house 3 court Dunlop St Carbrook. The father George was born in Derby in 1844 his wife Mary Ann born Woodburn Bedfordshire. They are burried in Tinsley Park Cemetry. Branches of this side of the Maws still live in Sheffield. I have many names and dates from this branch of the family.

There was a large Maw family that lived in Hastilar Road South Woodthorpe during at least the 70's and 80's. They lived on the left hand side as you walked from the Woodthorpe shops towards the Springwood Pub. I think it was a corner house. I seen to remember there being quite a few children, I can visualise a few boys (they were all smallish lads that always had very short hair) and a girl called Wendy Maw. Not sure if this helps but hope that it does.

Edit: I have had my thinking cap on these are the names I can remember, Tony, Alan, Steven, Gary, Dean & Darren not sure if these last two might have been twins.

Does anyone remember steve shannon? - i believe he went out with julie maw

My grandmother was a Maw. I found the first trace of the family in Sheffield on the 1881 census living 2 house 3 court Dunlop St Carbrook. The father George was born in Derby in 1844 his wife Mary Ann born Woodburn Bedfordshire. They are burried in Tinsley Park Cemetry. Branches of this side of the Maws still live in Sheffield. I have many names and dates from this branch of the family.

Wow, thats my great great grandfather your talking about(George Maw). A relative traced his line back to William Maw his son. I'm from a brother John(Jack) Maw. Tinsley Park Cemetary you say, any idea where abouts?

Ecclesfield, Yew Lane coal merchants. Rob Maw drives an F1 stockcar occasionally.