The maw family in Sheffield

I am currently tracing back my family and there are lots of branches of the Maw family that I don't know about. I would be grateful to any Maw's out there or people who know of Maw's in Sheffield, who could pass on wht they know of their ancestry.

I won't be related to all but I'm sure I can find a connection to some of them.

Of course I will share all the information I have.

There is a W.Maw coal merchant in Rotherham.

you tried face book sure theres lots in manor area

Yes I have tried facebook but there are litrally hundreds of Maws on that. Only a small fraction would be related. Im thinking there will be a hell of a lot less i Sheffield and be easier to tie up tomy spreadsheet

Hi Chop28 - I have the 2003 electoral roll on a CD, which lists 194 people in Sheffield with the surname Maw. This came as a surprise to me, never having met anyone of this name, though according to the National Trust website it is a Yorkshire surname. If it would help you to have a list of the Sheffield Maws from the 2003 roll (with addresses) in Word or Excel format, just PM me an email address.

On my Grandmothers side of my tree I have Andrew Maw 1625, born in Haxey, Lincs. This part of the family lived in that area until c1800 when a branch named Tinker came to Sheffield, mid 1800s the Tinkers married into the Woodward family, this being my Great Grandmothers name.

I knew a Ernie Maw, lived up the Manor somewhere. First met him in the Army, he was in the Catering Corps. He was on the catering staff at 3GHQ, Fayid, Egypt, about 51-52.

I used to see him sometime at the dogs at Hyde Park.

I think a Maw family lived in our yard in Saville Street during the war.After we were bombed out they were moved to the big house at the top of Cookswood Road Shirecliffe.

One of my uncles is a Maw,he and his family live in the Chapeltown and Penistone area of Sheffield.

One of my uncles is a Maw,he and his family live in the Chapeltown and Penistone area of Sheffield.

There are a few in Chapeltown and highgreen. Used to be coal merchants and hauliers.

There was a large Maw family that lived in Hastilar Road South Woodthorpe during at least the 70's and 80's. They lived on the left hand side as you walked from the Woodthorpe shops towards the Springwood Pub. I think it was a corner house. I seen to remember there being quite a few children, I can visualise a few boys (they were all smallish lads that always had very short hair) and a girl called Wendy Maw. Not sure if this helps but hope that it does.

Edit: I have had my thinking cap on these are the names I can remember, Tony, Alan, Steven, Gary, Dean & Darren not sure if these last two might have been twins.

Edited by devlin
remembered some names