Dog Walks in Sheffield, where is best ?

JUst wondered where you think is the best place to take the dog for a walk, i have a 8 month old labrador, we regularly go to shirebrook near city school(he loves the water!). Does anybody know any hidden gems. Also in Rother Valley are dogs allowed off the lead, I haven't seen any off leads but some one told me they are allowed off leads.

Cheers

I've taken my dog in Rother Valley off the lead before, I'm pretty positive it's fine.

(Though only once because he ran away and didnt stop running for a very long time! :))

Rivelin Valley in S6 is good for dog walks, my Dad used to take our dogs down there regularly when we used to live up Walkley.

Start on Rivelin Valley Road, go through the "Mousehole" round the Pond, let the dogs go for a swim in the perfectly safe Pond, then cross over and go in Rivelin Park, through the Playground, over the bridge and then there's a good walk from there including a river for splashing about in... If you want you can go as far up as the S bend near Manchester Road... Lots of little clearings as well if the dogs need to relieve themselves, without upsetting any of the wildlife etc.

Hope that helps.

i used to walk around the resivoir at redmires near the three merry lads

lovely views and safe!!!

Woodhouse washlands, Woodhouse Mill

The firestation playingfields on Beaverhill Rd

Hail Mary Wood

(get the A - Z out, there's loads of places round here :thumbsup: )

Also: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21301 (not suitable for a merge, before anybody starts :suspect: )

We also like Graves park, Totley woods, Norfolk Park and Edale

I walk my dogs in Grenoside woods, you can get lost in there for hours.....

Originally posted by crowefan

i used to walk around the resivoir at redmires near the three merry lads

lovely views and safe!!!

This is a superb dog walking place....I go here every morning at sunrise without fail, give or take blizzards, storms and other nasties.....staggering views, usually very secluded, rarely see other dog walkers at that time of day. Even on Sunday afternoon today it was populated by only a handful of people. you can walk right along the tops of both dams quite safely, and at "low tide" which is how they are now, there is even a sandy beach at one end.......on the middle dam (there are three) there is a small island and usually in August you can walk right out to this as the water levels fall really low.....BEWARE of the quicksand though, there is ONE patch of it near the island and you can suddenly lose a shoe or two!!!!!

i walk round treeton dyke and the surrounding woods my dogs love it

We also like Graves park

agreed, graves park is great, walk from bottom to top and back again, takes about 2 hours with a gentle stroll, your labby can even have a jump in the water and have a swim too.

that wasn't you we saw last weekend then was it?

If there is one thing that Sheffield isn't short of it's dog walking area's, it depends what you are looking for

Graves park is a nice dog walking park as you've got woods, fields a farm so you can introduce your dog to livestock and a cafe to have a coffee in when your dog has worn you out.

I also like walking out through Endcliffe park up to Forge Dam which also has an exellent little cafe when you get there.

Treeton Dyke just past Woodhouse Mill and off to the left is a huge lake with a walk all the wy round it, but don't let your dog chase the water skiers they can be a bit snotty.

Ecclesall Woods from Millhouses up to Dore main paths and plenty of little ttracks to go off exploring.

Don't know what the area is called but out at High Green go down Packhorse lane past the Paces community centre and there are extensive woods which seem to stretch for miles.

If you fancy the climb you can go up the hillside alongside the Ski village and then turn left folow the ridge along till you pass the landfill site and drop down through he old cemetary.

So many places you're spoilt for choice.

that wasn't you we saw last weekend then was it?

very possible, im up there most days, and snoop loves going for a swim :D