Sheffield taxi drivers.

I would like to know if ALL taxi drivers had their own valid driving licence.

You can't become a taxi driver if you haven't got a driving licence. You can't do ANY driving job if you haven't got a driving licence.

Must admit this sort of stuff makes us taxi drivers look like muppets. Initially when i first started six years ago it was a-z time with trial by error as you got to know your way round sheffield. However now I only get directed to very minor roads when i get to a destination. 99.9% of the time i know where i am going.

It still amazes when when you get in a cab and have to direct the driver all the way to a particular well known area. One memorable occasion i had to direct a driver from west st to crookes. Jesus wept :loopy:

I got a black cab from Ecclesall Rd to Firth Park last night and I had to direct him part of the way....Firth Park....I thought most of them lived round about there

one taxi several family members driving it is my guess:suspect::suspect::suspect:
Just look at it from a different perspective, if you paid £25-30000 for a black cab, paid £2000 for insurance and work anti social hours to try and pay off the loans and the mortgage and bills and normal home expenses, would you allow another non licensed member of your family to illegally drive that cab with the risk of an accident and no insurance cover?

If you think that is so and have proof that it is happening then contact the licensing office at Town hall with your evidence, otherwise don't display your lack of brains on fora such as this.:rant:

Edited by tab1

I got a black cab from Ecclesall Rd to Firth Park last night and I had to direct him part of the way....Firth Park....I thought most of them lived round about there
Did he say he didn't know where Firth Park was or did you volunteer to direct him anyway? The scenario is too far fetched to be believable I'm afraid.

It's a pet hate of taxi drivers that they would drive passengers five or six miles through areas the customers aren't familiar with, the passengers sit quietly admiring the view. When they get close to their destination and recognise where they are, they jump up to start directing every turn without being asked to. They'd say stuff like turn left where that car is coming out, as though if they didn't say that he might turn up somebody's drive instead of the turning in the road.:roll:

Edited by tab1

The scenario is too far fetched to be believable I'm afraid.

Excuse me....He was going to go down eccy rd to town instead of towards the hospital and rutland road...unless he was trying for a bigger fare and then I had to tell him where my road was.

Excuse me....He was going to go down eccy rd to town instead of towards the hospital and rutland road...unless he was trying for a bigger fare and then I had to tell him where my road was.

The distance from bottom of Eccy Road to go through Rockingham Street and West Bar is equal to going over Hanover way and Rutland Road, and the fare exactly the same, try it some time. That is if it's lower part of Eccy Road. If past Hunters Bar then you would be right. So if you're not familiar with the roads and distances then that doesn't make him wrong. To insinuate he didn't know where Firth Park is a bit of a presumption on your part. As for directing him the last bit, every body does that anyway regardless of where they need to or not. Next time just sit on your hands till asked where to go, then complain if the driver doesn't get you to your destination.

Edited by tab1

The distance from bottom of Eccy Road to go through Rockingham Street and West Bar is equal to going over Hanover way and Rutland Road, and the fare exactly the same, try it some time. That is if it's lower part of Eccy Road. If past Hunters Bar then you would be right. So if you're not familiar with the roads and distances then that doesn't make him wrong. To insinuate he didn't know where Firth Park is a bit of a presumption on your part. As for directing him the last bit, every body does that anyway regardless of where they need to or not. Next time just sit on your hands till asked where to go, then complain if the driver doesn't get you to your destination.

Take it you are a taxi driver then Tabby ;):hihi::hihi:

tab1, have you ever picked customers up, and during the journey start whispering to each other ?

Or if you pick up a couple and they are quiet all the way through the journey ?

I bet thats one paranoid trip to drop off quick. :suspect:

I think you are just trying to create an argument so i will bow to your superior knowledge and leave it at that.

took a private hire taxi from grimesthorpe to firth park bowling alley and had to direct the driver!

Just look at it from a different perspective, if you paid £25-30000 for a black cab, paid £2000 for insurance and work anti social hours to try and pay off the loans and the mortgage and bills and normal home expenses, would you allow another non licensed member of your family to illegally drive that cab with the risk of an accident and no insurance cover?

If you think that is so and have proof that it is happening then contact the licensing office at Town hall with your evidence, otherwise don't display your lack of brains on fora such as this.:rant:

who mentioned black cabs not me, ive been in a private taxi before and on the dash, the identity card, the picture on the card was not the bloke sat driving me. P.S can you tell me why when black cabs have got a fare in the taxi can only do 20 mph, and when empty its like s**t of a shovel:huh: