Kelvin Flats

hi.

it would be great to have access to those pics, the central libarary have a database thet they would love to have a copy of your collection.

YOUR LINK TO DAVID STAVES SITE DON'T WORK, LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU CORRECTED IT AS I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A NOSEY:hihi:

I have just started uploading and building a (very) basic site. No laughing as I have only just started ok!!

Kelvin Flats

I have so many pics it's taking a while to find the time to scan them all etc. These are not the best ones.

Neabitts, who would I contact about the acrchives?

Plus, if anyone wnats to contribute any stories etc, feel free to do so ........ PLEASE!!!!!

Hi.

If you go into the central library through the main doors and on your right there is a reception desk through some doors.

They will be able to take copies from disc I think, to put on their picture archive.

If you have the negatives then you could have them put on disc to view on your pc or DVD player.

This could be done from the prints themselves but would take time and cost to have it done at a photo place.

If you need any help I have some software that should do it.

neabitts

FetishFairy

Regarding the archives:

Before copying your photos to disc, I suggest you contact the archives, as they prefer photos on disc to be in certain formats, TIFF or bitmap and not compressed if possible. They also require details for each photo.

Details are below.

Sheffield Local Studies Library

Central Library, Surrey Street, Sheffield S1 1XZ

Tel +44 (0) 114 273 4753

Fax +44 (0) 114 273 5009

E-mail [email protected]

Originally posted by FetishFairy

I have just started uploading and building a (very) basic site. No laughing as I have only just started ok!!

Kelvin Flats

I have so many pics it's taking a while to find the time to scan them all etc. These are not the best ones.

Neabitts, who would I contact about the acrchives?

Plus, if anyone wnats to contribute any stories etc, feel free to do so ........ PLEASE!!!!!

nice begginig to your site mate, can you tell "k" that james wants his bike back now he knows who nicked it, id tell a few stories on your page but you made us all sign that piece of paper,remember? just joking" s "hope it gets going soon and ill be checking it regularly

Kelvin Yes a great place. It was the early eighties that things started to go wrong. I was on the committee for quite a while just before they decided to demolish them. The tenants were given very little choice about demolition. There were not 17 deaths on Kelvin. There were over the years 7 official suicides 4 accidental deaths by falling from the top or near to the top. Millions were spent at that time to renovate the flats. Block B became security monitored with cameras attached to entry systems in the flats. Cameras on the landings, Cameras on the outside of the flats. But, They very rarely worked. Knocking the flats down has caused a knock on effect with the area and businesses in the area. The area has gone down hill. It was a big mistake knocking those flats down. I was in trouble with the council because I produced papers that were never to be shown to the public. I picked them up off of a desk in the town hall. It would be easy to write a book about Kelvin. It would be a good one. I do have several photo's somewhere of the first Kelvin Carnaval. I will try and find them and try to get them to you if possible. I have met many people over the last ten years that lived and worked on Kelvin, Still meet many now, Mohammed the Indian that worked in the rent office still calls to see me. and, In fact just this minute rang me. It would be great to have a Kelvin re-union. WOWEEEE what a time we would have. Though many ex Kelvinites are now dead sorry to say. One of the many frieds I had if any one recalls her " Fat Pam Foster ". She got around a lot. She died last year. Well Running out of time and space. Glad someone started a thread. There is still much that we can all say about Kelvin. Had a few good pints Al. very rarely did we go home sober

what did these papers say then? my curiosity has gotten the better of me, or arnt you allowed to say

Well after so many years who will bother. There was a meeting in the Town Hall ( Several in fact ). Whilst the renovations of the flats was going on. The future of the flats was being discussed and how much could be made out of the demolition of the flats. The tenants were to be given " Hobsons Choice " as they put it. But not till after lots of money mostly from Euro Funding had been spent. It was decided that the flats would be demolished. Millions spent on revovations mostly cow boy work was being wasted. Many contractors were thrown off of the job, However. After the renovations came to a halt. Before anyone on the flats had any knowledge. Council officials were advised to evict as many as possible from Kelvin, A purge was made in 1990 and 92, If those that lived on Kelvin remember, Rent , Abandoned flats used for Giro collections. etc. Flats were left empty. Neglected areas around the flats. All those that had put int for transfers were starting to be offered homes where they wanted to go. This was done to cut down on compensation for having to move. All this was planne before the Estate meeting. Then came the meeting. One councillor was told that at this meeting she was to stress compensation payments and expense payments. She was told that , at a meeting. Offer them pounds and pence they have no sense. This was a disgusting thing to say. However at the meeting they made offers that were hard to refuse. A vote was taken that the flats would be demolished. Many people regret this. The Council broke promises to the people of Kelvin. As a result the area is now suffering. But, The Council Propoganda team got to work as usual. Kelvin was purposely run down by a " Corrupt Council ". I will say this now and stand by this comment. I would love them to challenge me on this. We have the same problem in other areas where the Council want to demolish. They make promises , They are wasting regeneration money. Many mistakes are being made. All this to pacify the people and Council Tenants whilst houses are demolished and the private sector take over. Like Kelvin, Whole communities are being systematically destroyed. This Council are throwing money about like confetti to keep local committees happy. Whilst at the same time they cannot afford to do alterations for the disabled, or urgent repairs to homes. They underspend on the elderly, Education. and most everything else. They destroyed Kelvin

Originally posted by Rodgers

Well after so many years who will bother. There was a meeting in the Town Hall ( Several in fact ). Whilst the renovations of the flats was going on. The future of the flats was being discussed and how much could be made out of the demolition of the flats. The tenants were to be given " Hobsons Choice " as they put it. But not till after lots of money mostly from Euro Funding had been spent. It was decided that the flats would be demolished. Millions spent on revovations mostly cow boy work was being wasted. Many contractors were thrown off of the job, However. After the renovations came to a halt. Before anyone on the flats had any knowledge. Council officials were advised to evict as many as possible from Kelvin, A purge was made in 1990 and 92, If those that lived on Kelvin remember, Rent , Abandoned flats used for Giro collections. etc. Flats were left empty. Neglected areas around the flats. All those that had put int for transfers were starting to be offered homes where they wanted to go. This was done to cut down on compensation for having to move. All this was planne before the Estate meeting. Then came the meeting. One councillor was told that at this meeting she was to stress compensation payments and expense payments. She was told that , at a meeting. Offer them pounds and pence they have no sense. This was a disgusting thing to say. However at the meeting they made offers that were hard to refuse. A vote was taken that the flats would be demolished. Many people regret this. The Council broke promises to the people of Kelvin. As a result the area is now suffering. But, The Council Propoganda team got to work as usual. Kelvin was purposely run down by a " Corrupt Council ". I will say this now and stand by this comment. I would love them to challenge me on this. We have the same problem in other areas where the Council want to demolish. They make promises , They are wasting regeneration money. Many mistakes are being made. All this to pacify the people and Council Tenants whilst houses are demolished and the private sector take over. Like Kelvin, Whole communities are being systematically destroyed. This Council are throwing money about like confetti to keep local committees happy. Whilst at the same time they cannot afford to do alterations for the disabled, or urgent repairs to homes. They underspend on the elderly, Education. and most everything else. They destroyed Kelvin

I have to say, I often suspected this about the Hole in the Road. It seemed very convenient that it began to look neglected, graffitti not being cleaned etc, becoming a real no-go area at night etc, JUST prior to plans for Supertram going over the top of it became public.

I feel sure they ran that down too.

This does not only happen here in Sheffield. It is common place now. There is so much corruption that it is taken for granted. I was once warned by a Councillor to keep my " Big Mouth " shut or else. I did not. I was made to suffer for it. But, some day the people of Sheffield will realize that Sheffield is being run by a minority of bullies and idiots within the Town Hall. The majority are decent Councillors, But I tend to think that they are afraid to open their mouths. Look into the past few years.It happened during the Kelvin Scandal and it still happens. Off hand I do not know the exact number, But, How many councillors have packed in, How many after opening their mouths have found themselves set up and in some cases even prosecuted. Well it is time that people started opening their mouths. I am not afraid to do so . They have tried to destroy me. As many that use this forum know. Many things best left in the past though. But, I will never trust another Sheffield Councillor. Still I am sorry, I have monopolized the forum and taken us into another subject. My apologies. Back to Kelvin.