Objections to the proposed Nuclear Research Centre at Catcliffe?

Fear?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Fear?

• No fear here
    • Not in my back yard
    • Tell me more before I decide

Why should there be any objections ?

It is going to be a research unit and possibly making components.

Make the stuff here and build somewhere else,no problems.

when these radio active waves figures out some ultra violet transformations it reduces the high frequencies. thanks for you sharing

Great input, dont worry your nearly at your 5 posts :thumbsup:

Catcliffe isn't on a flood plain anyway.

i thought catcliffe was on the edge of the floodplain of the River Rother

imagine the horror of a nuclear accident in Rotheram... it could cause hundreds and thousands of pounds of improvements.

;)

in response to the question of how many jobs would go to locals, i would say that even those jobs that aren't suitable for the local pool of 'talent' will help the area - people move for that kind of job, buy houses, use the local shops and services etc.....

no need to be insular about it.

Dont people round here want work or are they all work shy

we lost the railway job at wood house due to the BIEGHTON BRIGADE not wanting chimneys on the sky line and roof tops wait till they get going on this

as is stated it is not working nuclear plant it is design and supply of equipment

as has been said lets get the jobs

There's more than one cyclotron in Sheffield for creating nuclear material, surely? I'm certain Swann Morton must have one, and presumably the Hospitals too?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's plenty of radioactives in Sheffield already.

Rolls-Royce has chosen Rotherham as the base for one of two ground-breaking research and engineering plants coming to South Yorkshire which are set to create several hundred jobs.

They represent the biggest investment in South Yorkshire for decades and are forecast to contribute £1bn a year to the UK economy for many years to come.

Through them Britain will become the world’s leading supplier of components and research for the global nuclear energy industry.

The first will be a £25m Nuclear Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre at the Advanced Manufacturing Park (AMP) just off the Parkway at Waverley, near Catcliffe.

That is primarily funded by £15m from the Government and £10m from regional development agency Yorkshire Forward.

It will sit alongside the University of Sheffield Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre With Boeing, which played a leading role in bringing the projects to Yorkshire.

The second will be a civil nuclear manufacturing plant, whose exact location has yet to be announced and which will get £45m of Government support.

Between them they will make important research and engineering contributions to Britain’s nuclear energy programme. The manufacturing plant will produce large vessels – drums 30 metres (98 feet) across – for nuclear reactors.

Lord Mandelson, Secretary of State for Business, visited the AMP on December 3 to announce these and other measures to help Britain create a low-carbon economy.

“We excel in so many things in this country,” he said, praising the South Yorkshire and UK passion for manufacturing.

The measures would help British businesses potentially provide up to 80 per cent of the work on construction of new nuclear power plants.

The leader of the Council, Cllr Roger Stone, said: “This is a new era for Rotherham. Rolls-Royce is the best in the world at what it does. It has chosen a location that’s among the best in the world.

“These projects have massive implications for the UK economy. At a local level, as well as creating new high-quality jobs, we believe it will galvanise our young people into strengthening their skills and ambitions to be, like Rolls-Royce, world-class players.”

Partners in the new ventures include Sheffield Forgemasters and Rotherham’s National Metals Technology Centre.

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/graphics/YourCouncil/Press+Releases/_rolls.htm

With the greatest respect to the good folk of Catcliffe, having worked around there for the last 16 years or so on and off, I've got to say none of them seem particularly technically minded or suited for this sort of work. It's not the Tokyo of northern England really.

Yes but the 100 grand a year workers mighnt need to buy a Star or a snickers ;)

It will feed down the chain eventually, probably the house prices will rocket or something but the locals will get some change I bet :D

There's more than one cyclotron in Sheffield for creating nuclear material, surely? I'm certain Swann Morton must have one, and presumably the Hospitals too?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's plenty of radioactives in Sheffield already.

I am sure there is nuclear stuff in the hospitals, they use it for some of the imaging tests. Not sure if it is actually made up in sheffield though? or shipped in from elsewhere. either which way, it is there.

eta and if you count all the bl**dy "sunbed" shops doted around the place thats a damnsight more radiation for you.

Will somebody please think of the children!

I beleive they will only be employing adults, sorry.

how many of the jobs will go to locals though... 50% max id say

50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.