Objections to the proposed Nuclear Research Centre at Catcliffe?

Fear?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Fear?

• No fear here
    • Not in my back yard
    • Tell me more before I decide

how many of the jobs will go to locals though... 50% max id say

With the greatest respect to the good folk of Catcliffe, having worked around there for the last 16 years or so on and off, I've got to say none of them seem particularly technically minded or suited for this sort of work. It's not the Tokyo of northern England really.

The Centre will be in Catcliffe and create around 170 direct jobs though the majority of those with the necessary skills and experience will already be in employment anyway.

The manufacturing base's location is still to be decided and will employ around 300 jobs. This will probably create more jobs for local workforce who have skills in manufacturing.

I just wonder how many times this thread will get it's name changed.

Twice so far and waiting.

Will somebody please think of the children!

Cleaner, safer nuclear energy? A secure supply of energy for this country? A lower carbon footprint? Highly skilled scientific/engineering jobs for the local area? It's a research centre not a nuclear power plant.....

Sheffield university as stated that there will be no nuclear material at this facility

Let's not let facts get in the way of a climate of fear! :)

Just thought I'd get a toe hold first before an irrational suburban fear takes hold of the city now that the N word has been used in relation to the Sheffield University / Rolls Royce engineering facility to research nuclear energy projects just off the Parkway.

Are you worried about having nuclear research in Sheffield? Do you know what it is and what it does?

Isn't it opening in Rotherham??

Technically, but nobody would believe that you could find Rolls Royce or a university in Rotherham. :D

Technically, but nobody would believe that you could find Rolls Royce or a university in Rotherham. :D

Oh so true :hihi: Surley the people of Rotherham will just poke it with a stick as its the 'normal'?

I noticed on Look Leeds, that when this facility was mentioned it was described as being located in South Yorkshire.

They just couldn't bring themselves to acknowledge that Sheffield was getting it and not the almighty Leeds.

Sheffield and Rotherham have some excellent manufacturing engineers. As for the safety aspect, I would not be too concerned as there are plans to build lots of nuclear fallout shelters should a Chernoble type catastrophe occur and it might be kinda fun to see people glow in the dark anyhow.