Objections to the proposed Nuclear Research Centre at Catcliffe?

Fear?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Fear?

• No fear here
    • Not in my back yard
    • Tell me more before I decide

Not sure if any of you saw Look North tonight, but there was a good news story about the new Nuclear Centre that is to be based at the Advanced Manufacturing Park in Rotherham.

It will also be the equivalent of pumping £1 billion of investment and jobs for the Rotherham and wider S. Yorkshire enconomy per year, for 60 years according to the statistics, presented on Look North.

You can watch the report online here, until tomorrow at 2pm. Link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/england/realmedia/looknorthyorkslincs/looknorth?size=16x9&bgc=C0C0C0&nbram=1&bbram=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1

This is brilliant news if you ask me! :)

if it blows up and scatters radioactive waste over rotherham we will have glow-in-the-dark chavs

Not sure if any of you saw Look North tonight, but there was a good news story about the new Nuclear Centre that is to be based at the Advanced Manufacturing Park in Rotherham.

It will also be the equivalent of pumping £1 billion of investment and jobs for the Rotherham and wider S. Yorkshire enconomy per year, for 60 years according to the statistics, presented on Look North.

You can watch the report online here, until tomorrow at 2pm. Link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/england/realmedia/looknorthyorkslincs/looknorth?size=16x9&bgc=C0C0C0&nbram=1&bbram=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1

This is brilliant news if you ask me! :)

Did you use the "N" word there?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/uk_news/england/south_yorkshire/8392967.stm

A research centre and factory to support the UK's civil nuclear industry are to be based in South Yorkshire, the government has announced.

The Nuclear Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (NAMRC) will be based in Catcliffe, Lord Mandelson said.

Rolls-Royce's factory, which will assemble parts for the UK's 10 new nuclear power stations, will also be based somewhere in the county.

I'm waiting for the hysterical reactions from posters so I thought I would start the thread, get some popcorn and sit back. :D

"A research centre and factory to support the UK's civil nuclear industry"

"Rolls-Royce's factory, which will assemble parts for the UK's 10 new nuclear power stations"

Hardly a Nuclear Plant.

a more serious question is whether or not they are going to build it on the flood plain

I knew as soon as the nuclear fee zone signs went from around Sheffield we'd have trouble and loose our protection :hihi:

Head for the hills !!!!

You can see the mushroom better when it goes off :hihi:

a more serious question is whether or not they are going to build it on the flood plain

No it isn't - about on a parallel with Morrisons off the Parkway.

BTW you don't have to be on a flood plain to be flooded. Catcliffe isn't on a flood plain anyway.

If this happens it can only be good news, 500 new jobs coming in to the local area.

If this happens it can only be good news, 500 new jobs coming in to the local area.

how many of the jobs will go to locals though... 50% max id say

Just thought I'd get a toe hold first before an irrational suburban fear takes hold of the city now that the N word has been used in relation to the Sheffield University / Rolls Royce engineering facility to research nuclear energy projects just off the Parkway.

Are you worried about having nuclear research in Sheffield? Do you know what it is and what it does?