Do you remember Sheffield groups of yester year?

I saw John O'Hara & the playboys many times (workingman clubs). One of the best pubs for groups around that time was the Blue Bell Hackenthorpe.

I had great discussions with John O'Hara one night, at a place neither of us should have been (sobering up)

my uncle used to play in a band called the four dons on the clubs in the early 60s

Freddie Flint & the Flinstones, a lot of local groups played the working mans clubs & pubs in the early sixties.
I think you mean Alec Winstone and the Flintstones, ...may be wrong but I'm sure he was the drummer.

I think you mean Alec Winstone and the Flintstones, ...may be wrong but I'm sure he was the drummer.
Totally correct,although a big west indian guy used to double up on drums while Alec fooled around! Getting back to Joe Cockers era.I was bass player with the Scott William Combo at the time along with Dave Hawley on lead.When Dave left to join the Lorne Gibson Trio,I got Phil Crookes in the band on lead.Kenny Slade joined soon afterwards on drums.I still have Scotts 1963/64 Vox AC30 ,(some time later I joined club group the Vantennas and used it for bass) which Scott played guitar through as well as our vocals at the same time.We played the Greengate Inn at High Green on Tuesdays alternating with Joe Cockers band at that time and the Hillbilly Cats.I think Phil has recently moved to Woodseats.............................your white Fender Strat,and my Vox AC30 from the same period would no doubt have a tale to tell! Edited by mossdog

Hiya fella, great to hear from you.You have probably recognised me by now.!!Amazes me how we still remember each other afer all this time.Whatever happened to Scotty? & Is Phil Crookes still playing?

Did you play on the City Hall with The Vantennas ? they were a great band at the time.We were on all Stringfellows shows there you may remember.

Re: the White Strat, I sold it to Phil Brodie about 20 odd yrs: ago,(I think it was him, and heard he'd 'customised' it) Now have a salmon pink one, a Les Paul Custom, a Hofner 'Beatle bass, and a Bluesbreaker Marshall, all promised to my grandson.

Edited by WhiteFender

[quote=Gormenghast;

I went with one of the tech. services men, (cellar inspector) on his visits one day and we got talking about old Sheffield bands - it turned out that he was Mike Shane of the Chevrolets.

I knew Mike [Roy] very well in the 60's, he used to live around Whiteways, his lead guitarist died from lung cancer from playing in the smoky old pubs and clubs from what I heard.

Some day.!!I keep promising I will write about those times as the books on Joe are not 'factually' correct.
Me too, in our first 12 months on the road we giigged nearly 300 nights Sept 62 to Sept 63 and carried on throughout the heady days of 'Beatlemania'.

Our band like so many others never got a mention in the book wtitten about the scene in those days.

Me too, in our first 12 months on the road we giigged nearly 300 nights Sept 62 to Sept 63 and carried on throughout the heady days of 'Beatlemania'.

Our band like so many others never got a mention in the book wtitten about the scene in those days.

I think the book about Sheffield bands in the 60s did a very good broad brush job,but there are lots of us out there no doubt, could fill a book of our own and make it equally interesting.Probably we should start a thread of humorous tales and episodes from those days,I'm sure there would be lots of contributors!...........anybody out there up for it?

I think the book about Sheffield bands in the 60s did a very good broad brush job,but there are lots of us out there no doubt, could fill a book of our own and make it equally interesting.Probably we should start a thread of humorous tales and episodes from those days,I'm sure there would be lots of contributors!...........anybody out there up for it?
Sounds like a good idea, it would also be nice for someone to organise a bit of a get together before we all die off.

The only thing I didn't respect Joe for....He got Vernon Nash and Dave Green 'hovering around' at the last few gigs we did,obviously to learn the sets.He never told Bob or myself he didn't want us anymore after three and a half yrs;It didn't worry us, as we joined "The Cherokees" together about a fortnight after. They were a club band but earned three times as much as Joe. He went to France and when he came back nobody wanted to know him, he had no money and no band (They were fed up with playing and not being paid) so disillusioned with music, he went to work for W.H.Smith's loading their early morning vans.We didn't see him for ages until he turned up at a pub we were playing (with Eileen Webster) one Friday night. He came home with us but didn't seem to want to go home, We stayed up all night and I had to go to work in the morning, play football in the afternoon and 'rock' a WMC at night. Some day.!!I keep promising I will write about those times as the books on Joe are not 'factually' correct.
Amongst my collection I have a 'Vance Arnold and the Avengers" business card (white with blue haze around,Tasker Rd)If you have not got one already you are welcome to it if we ever cross paths!....................also got one from my old band The Mojo sound of the "Scott William Combo" (BBC & ITV recording stars) so it says! Edited by mossdog

Hiya fella, great to hear from you.You have probably recognised me by now.!!Amazes me how we still remember each other afer all this time.Whatever happened to Scotty? & Is Phil Crookes still playing?

Did you play on the City Hall with The Vantennas ? they were a great band at the time.We were on all Stringfellows shows there you may remember.

Re: the White Strat, I sold it to Phil Brodie about 20 odd yrs: ago,(I think it was him, and heard he'd 'customised' it) Now have a salmon pink one, a Les Paul Custom, a Hofner 'Beatle bass, and a Bluesbreaker Marshall, all promised to my grandson.

P S. did you read my reply? I think someones had it removed,probably touched a raw nerve!nothing intentional! Edited by mossdog

The revamped Avengers after Phil Crookes and Steve McKenna had left.

band.jpg

They were a great band in the 60's.