Can anyone help with the damp in my apartment?

Hi all

I live in a new apartment on the ground floor and the back two rooms are getting damp on the plasterboard walls around the windows. It has made all the paint come off round the windows and you can see that the plaster is wet,this is causing damp and mould :( im not sure what is causing it but i guess somethings not right.

Can anyone help or suggest anything or know of any damp experts that could come out and have a look and maybe fix the problem?

I am wanting this sorted urgently.

Thanks to anyone that could help.

Your window frames should have little vents built in - are these open? They can be closed. Whatabout wall vents - if you have any?

Otherwise, try to open the window in the morning for a short spell to release some of the humid air from overnight.

If that doesn't catch your fancy, consider purchasing a dehumidfier.

it could be condensation if its around the windows, especially if youre drying your washing inside or having hot showers and its cold outside. you might need to open the windows slightly or get a dehumidifier.

Your window frames should have little vents built in - are these open? They can be closed. Whatabout wall vents - if you have any?

Otherwise, try to open the window in the morning for a short spell to release some of the humid air from overnight.

If that doesn't catch your fancy, consider purchasing a dehumidfier.

Thanks for your reply but the problem is much bigger than that, i have purchased at dehumidfier, it doesn't help. I think it maybe more of a building fault.

If this is a city flat it doesn't surprise me. I've seen this far too often.

If it's brand new the flat will have an NHBC certficate which is kind of like a warranty for the first year or so I believe, could be worth investigating as something definitely isn't right there. Poor vapour barrier control.

Hi all

I live in a new apartment on the ground floor and the back two rooms are getting damp on the plasterboard walls around the windows. It has made all the paint come off round the windows and you can see that the plaster is wet,this is causing damp and mould :( im not sure what is causing it but i guess somethings not right.

Can anyone help or suggest anything or know of any damp experts that could come out and have a look and maybe fix the problem?

I am wanting this sorted urgently.

Thanks to anyone that could help.

do you own the property or are you renting it?

If you have purchased it and it is brand new then it should be under some sort of guarantee, you should try to contact the builders or whoever it was bought off and get it checked.

If you are renting, you should probably show the problem to the landlord.

In the meantime, as others have said, get a dehumidifier, open the window for a while each day.

If it is an actual problem, as in rising damp or something then you can get the walls "tanked" with a special plaster that stops the damp getting through.

eta wahsing the walls down witha bleach solution will help kill the mould and make the air a bit healthier or your lungs

A few of the city centre apartment blocks had issues with this when first built. I suggest you talk to the buildings maintanance company and see if your block was one of them. If it is some remedial wors will be necessary to stop the water ingress around the windows.

happy to help with your problem if you would like to arrange a visit please call anytime 07916813615. -JLB JOINERY

JLB JOINERY REALISTIC PRICES REALISTIC TIMESCALES

If this is a city flat it doesn't surprise me. I've seen this far too often.

If it's brand new the flat will have an NHBC certficate which is kind of like a warranty for the first year or so I believe, could be worth investigating as something definitely isn't right there. Poor vapour barrier control.

and NHBC is known in the construction world as " No Hope of Bringing a Claim "

Hi all

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Can anyone recomend a damp expert who could come and tell me what the problem is?

Thankyou.

Hi we have worked on many of the city centre apartment block and this is ridiculously common the causes are usually one of the following inadequate sealant around the exterior of the frames, Poorly manufactured frames with no vents ,trickle vents stuffed with builders dirt, poorly fitted cladding, The nhbc are meant to cover this but they can take up to 4 months to come and look and even then they are useless they dont want to get into one with the developers