Sign in to follow this  

Garages

Hi!

I'm seriously thinking about moving to Sheffield in the very near future, & while I've been house hunting, one of the things that has struck is that while a house with a garage isn't quite as rare as "hen's teeth", it's not far short of it!

If it comes to the crunch, one way round the problem is to buy a house , & then get a garage built. Which brings me to my question. While I'd prefer to avoid cowboys or those firms that are "too busy" to be interested, does anybody have the local knowledge to recommend a firm who can build a brick built garage & give reasonable value for money, & ideally have the knowledge & experience to smooth such things as building permission? - T.I.A.

Cheers,

Jim Lyon

Most of the houses that do not have garages don't have them because there isn't sufficient space between the houses. Do be aware of this!

Originally posted by Karlt

Most of the houses that do not have garages don't have them because there isn't sufficient space between the houses. Do be aware of this!

Hi!

True enough! But not only does that leave a (very) few with space, but also the possibility of getting e.g. a house with a "metal sectioned" garage, & then replacing it with something better (assuming you can get planning permission!)

Cheers,

Jim

Planning permission isnt usually a problem if you are replacing a garage with one of similar size, and overall colour (ie. not bright oranges etc). Obviously, make friends with your neighbours first before you apply!

I know a few good firms that could handle building of a garage for you.

1Man&HisBMW

Why do people have garages? They never have cars in - they only seem to have lawnmowers, bikes and boxes of stuff which were never unpacked from the last house move in them