Not allowed to take photos of kids Xmas play - is this all schools in Shef?

I know a lot of schools are doing this now and it's such a shame :( On the other hand when I went to school concerts etc. it was very annoying when people kept standing up in front of you to take pictures or video.

That said, it might be worth contacting the LEA for their policy. I can't find anything on the council website. Here is some info on the Teachernet site:

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholeschool/familyandcommunity/childprotection/usefulinformation/photosandvideos/photoschoolevent/

My bold

Years ago, my partner was a school governor at a school which banned all cameras and videos for just this reason. Some of the parents were not just taking videos, but calling out to their children to turn round, etc!!! It absolutely ruined the performance for a lot of the parents, because they couldn't concentrate on just watching - which is surely the whole point of the performance?

I'm sure parents can take photos of their children in costume before they go on stage, or after they come off. And I'm sure they'd enjoy watching the play a whole lot more if they weren't so busy faffing around with cameras!

Why?

"Due to the Data Protection Act it is not possible to allow you to record or photograph the concerts. Tight regulations...now mean we need to adhere to Local Authority Procedures".

No mention of any opportunities for photos at any other time, like after the show...

ask them to quote the appropriate section of the data protection act.

there isnt one! it may surprise them to find that out.

Having read through the thread and the various links it would seem that this is the most likely reason:

In my work we come up against this all the time and we can not allow parents to take pictures because you would be amazed how many at risk children there are in Sheffield schools who you can not take picture of for various reasons.

We employ an official photographer who takes pictures of all the children and then we have to go through and delete the images of children who are at risk (or blur the image where appropriate) and then give a copy of the photographs to the school at no charge. We have never charged anyone for photographs so it certainly isn't a money-making idea but something that you have to do to make sure children are kept safe.

A better solution would be to only have one play and get the parents to sign a form saying they are OK with their kids being in photos/videos as a condition of them being eligible for a part.

Very true!! I was going to say just have one but thought the PC Brigade would go on one!! Rights and all that.......

A better solution would be to only have one play and get the parents to sign a form saying they are OK with their kids being in photos/videos as a condition of them being eligible for a part.

therefore bullying parents into something they may not be happy with to avoid excluding their child from taking part

its your child, you take a photo if you like as their parent/guardian. it is your absolute right.

stop letting schools/councils/LEAs/unapplicable governemnt acts and ridiculous PC ness dictate what you as parents can and cant do. schools and teacher are not gods and they are not in control of you or your family -

stand up to this, take a photo, stop letting 'them' act like they are in charge of you. they are 'in loco parentis' after all (sorry poor latin, i only know enough to buy a newspaper). you are still the parent. stand up to it before this country goes to rack and ruin. have respect and take photos before and after the show thus not disturbing anyone.

your houses are on street view, google earth etc for everyone to see.

and i tell you what - this does not happen in private schools, its phototastic at private schools events. an interesting comparison.

have a happy christmas and dont let the schools/teachers/lea spoil it for you and your family and your future memories

xgx

therefore bullying parents into something they may not be happy with to avoid excluding their child from taking part

Whilst I take Snook's point about at risk children, I don't agree with allowing a minority of paranoid parents, who's kids are not at risk, to prevent the majority from being able to do a perfectly reasonable activity.

If you think saying to a parent "fill in this form or your kid can't have a part in a school play" is bullying, what do you think the "OMG you want to take pictures of kids acting in a nativity play - you must be a paedophile" reaction of paranoid parents is?

i understand parents wanting to take photo's and i do think its silly that they aren't allowed, i work in a nursery where we have this policy and although its not something i agree with i do have to follow the rules. i have had parents who aren't comfortable with their children being photographed talk to me and i think that to claim the only reason this happens is fear of paedophiles is simplifying far too much. i just don't think any child should be excluded so others can have their photo done during the play when it could be taken before or after

If I drive past a school I drive with my eyes closed.

It's safer that way, if I didn't then if a child should run out in front of me I might accidentally see him or her.

Edited by Squiggs

As 60 odd year olds, the wife and I remember the days when our son was our son, and not a property of the state. Perhaps the Horrendous Harriet Harperson might just realise that the state doesn't know best, but I doubt it.

My beloved late grandfather (born in 1899) loved kids, they used to follow him when he was walking his dog, awaiting all the stories that I knew so well, their parents used to walk with him when they were kids and also knew the stories. Well he, no doubt, would be high on the nasty old buggers child at risk list, when will parents be able to think for themselves, if ever they are allowed the opportunity of doing so? :(

All I can say is "this is a very sad situation to be in!" :-( who would have thought that taking pictures of christmas concerts if for nothing else but to embarress the kids when they are older LOL would come to an end??

This really saddens me :-(

I'm really sad to see that so many people don't see a problem with putting children at risk, and I don't mean paedophiles as they have nothing to do with this. It's easy to hide behind the pc brigade argument but I don't think this holds up at all, what is pc about wanting at risk children to be safe?