1st TV programme you can remember?

My first memories of TV go back to the late 40's / early 50's with Muffin the Mule and a children's programme called Whirligig which included Hank the Cowboy and Billy Bean and his Funny Machine. Later came Sooty, Noddy, Crackerjack & The Adventures of Robin Hood followed a short time later by The Buccaneers, The Adventures of Long John Silver and Ivanhoe.

In terms of 'soaps' I recall The Appleyards and The Grove Family.

I wondered whether other SF members can remember these programmes or have recollections of their own first viewings.

Andy Pandy, 1951. Aged three, I couldn't wait for it to come on. I would sit in front of our Pye TV like this one. The fifteen minutes or so of the programme seemed to fly, and when the credits were rolling I was heartbroken - a whole WEEK before it came on again!.:cry:

A few years later "The Adventures of Robin Hood" with Richard Greene in the title role was my favourite.

Andy Pandy, 1951. Aged three, I couldn't wait for it to come on. I would sit in front of our Pye TV like this one. The fifteen minutes or so of the programme seemed to fly, and when the credits were rolling I was heartbroken - a whole WEEK before it came on again!.:cry:

A few years later "The Adventures of Robin Hood" with Richard Greene in the title role was my favourite.

Yes Hillsboro I'd forgotten about Andy Pandy - one of my favourites too! I think it was part of 'Watch with Mother'.

The Watch with Mother brand were the first TV programmes I can remember, too... the Woodentops, Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben... I can't remember if "Hector's House" was part of the WWM brand, but I enjoyed that, and Mary Mungo and Midge.

I also loved The Pogles, Bagpuss, The Clangers, Ivor The Engine, and a series illustrated by the people who did Ivor, which was called "Noggin The Nog"

I remember most of the above, dont forget Rag, Tag and Bobtail. Also, I watched the Coronation, the house was full as we were the only ones on the street with TV.

There was the delightful Patricia Driscoll with "Picture Book" (Watch with Mother), I think she also played Maid Marion with Richard Green.

Edited by carosio

The earliest TV i can remember watching was at school. this would have been mid 60,s, i would have been about 7 at that time. we were brought down to the main hall at ecclesfield junior school where we all sat ( on the floor ) watching an old black and white telly. after what seemed like forever waiting for the test card to go, we watched some sort of educational programs, by the BBC service for schools, i think, it was a long time ago -------short trousers, short back and sides , etc.

First tv I remember watching was Multi Coloured Swap Shop and Top of the Pops (Elton John & Kiki Dee singing 'Don't go breaking my heart')

I remember most of the above, dont forget Rag, Tag and Bobtail. Also, I watched the Coronation, the house was full as we were the only ones on the street with TV.

There was the delightful Patricia Driscoll with "Picture Book" (Watch with Mother), I think she also played Maid Marion with Richard Green.

That's the first program I watched too, I was 11 at the time, we'd just got a TV and I used to run all the way from school to watch it, how sad is that :( We watched the Coronation on next doors 12" TV because we hadn't ours at that time. Hasn't TV come a long way since Rag, Tag, and Bobtail?:hihi:

hmmm :huh:

I think Rhubarb, Bagpuss, and Mr Menn spring to mind.