Handsworth Grange using Schindler's List to teach. Thumbs up.

My Son came home from school this week telling me what he had learned about the holocaust. I was quite impressed, as when I was at school (many moons ago!) the subject wasn't even mentioned in history lessons. I decided to further his understanding of what happened, by playing the dvd of Schindler's list. My daughter walked into the room and declared that she had seen the film at school (She is 2 years older at the same school). I think it is good that this accurate account of what happened is shown, Well done Handsworth Grange. I don't mind admitting that seeing the film again brought a tear to my eye, so powerfull, it should never be forgotten. Are other schools in Sheffield using it to teach?

Got your message Sheffield Forum. Thank you for your welcome.:)

Has anyboby watched that film recently? Wow! what a film. I'd forgotten how powerful it was. Well worth a watch if you find yourself at a loose end.

My Son came home from school this week telling me what he had learned about the holocaust. I was quite impressed, as when I was at school (many moons ago!) the subject wasn't even mentioned in history lessons. I decided to further his understanding of what happened, by playing the dvd of Schindler's list. My daughter walked into the room and declared that she had seen the film at school (She is 2 years older at the same school). I think it is good that this accurate account of what happened is shown, Well done Handsworth Grange. I don't mind admitting that seeing the film again brought a tear to my eye, so powerfull, it should never be forgotten. Are other schools in Sheffield using it to teach?

Come on you only gave them 10 mins!

I saw it at school - this was probably about a year after it came out on video. I remember our teacher asking for consent from parents for us to see it as it was rated 15. I remember him jumping up out of his seat to fast forward through the rude bits! I believe though now there is a schools version of the film. I agree it is a very powerful film, learnt more watching it over 3/4 lessons then in probably two terms of work.

Come on you only gave them 10 mins!

I saw it at school - this was probably about a year after it came out on video. I remember our teacher asking for consent from parents for us to see it as it was rated 15. I remember him jumping up out of his seat to fast forward through the rude bits! I believe though now there is a schools version of the film. I agree it is a very powerful film, learnt more watching it over 3/4 lessons then in probably two terms of work.

Thanks, thats a good point. I don't remember getting any info from school about the screening of this film. Working it out, I think my daughter was 14 when she saw it. Perhaps this was the dumbed down version for schools. I must say though, that what they learn in sex education seems to be far more advanced than anything shown in Schindler's list. I felt more embaressed than my Son while watching the naughty bits.

Retracted

:):)

Edited by Big Boy

Anyone else smell a troll:suspect:?

Please, I am genuinely impressed that this part of history is now being taught in schools, it should NEVER be forgoten, and NEVER be repeated. When I was at school, all we we learned about was how many wive's some guy called Henry had. Completely useless.

Do any other schools in Sheffield use Schindler's List as a teaching aid?

My daughter was at HG and saw the film there four years ago. Tried to get her to watch it with me but it never happened. A film once seen, never forgotten.

My daughter was at HG and saw the film there four years ago. Tried to get her to watch it with me but it never happened. A film once seen, never forgotten.

My daughter gave the same reaction Bloomdido! She told me that at school, she left the classroom half way through, as it made her feel ill. It is a bitter pill. I watched it at the cinema back in 93/94 I think. After watching it again recently with my Son, I realised that I had forgotten much of it, especially the most touching final scene. It should be watched again and again and never forgotten. There is a very fine barrier existing today, that is preventing the same thing happening again.

My daughter gave the same reaction Bloomdido! She told me that at school, she left the classroom half way through, as it made her feel ill. It is a bitter pill. I watched it at the cinema back in 93/94 I think. After watching it again recently with my Son, I realised that I had forgotten much of it, especially the most touching final scene. It should be watched again and again and never forgotten. There is a very fine barrier existing today, that is preventing the same thing happening again.

I watched a TV film about the Lodz ghetto in Poland and I have read several biographies of holocaust survivors. To me it remains the atrocity of the modern world and I am old enough to recall my mother telling me about it as a child. It was something that she had lived through as a child herself.

A few years ago I worked with a German woman who, as a child, saw the trains of Jews being loaded to go to the camps. She didn't understand at the time but made sense of it later.

When I realised the significance of the end of the film, I had tears streaming down my face.

I watched a TV film about the Lodz ghetto in Poland and I have read several biographies of holocaust survivors. To me it remains the atrocity of the modern world and I am old enough to recall my mother telling me about it as a child. It was something that she had lived through as a child herself.

A few years ago I worked with a German woman who, as a child, saw the trains of Jews being loaded to go to the camps. She didn't understand at the time but made sense of it later.

When I realised the significance of the end of the film, I had tears streaming down my face.

I cried too. Again. As a 40 year old man, I would have thought that my emotions would be hardened, especially in this day and age. Not so.