Police Van - Mobile speed camera

Unfortunately, you'll have to fess up to your dad :o

I wonder how many times that’s been done. :suspect:

I was flashed by a speed camera van early last year (so they DO flash), I got a letter through which I had to return stating I was the driver. A letter came a week later saying I had done 34 in a 30 but they were just going to let me off this time. A word with a police officer confirmed that it's 10% + 1. So this was me on their threshold so I was let off. It also co-incided with a speed awareness week they were running at the time, so I think I was lucky.

How fast were you travelling? If you were just over the limit you may be given the benefit of doubt. There is also a possibility that you will be offered the chance to attend the speed awareness course as an alternative to getting penalty points.

If you were caught then your dad will be sent a notice requiring him to declare who the driver was. This notice of will be sent within 14 days of the offence. It would be a seperate offence committed by the owner to fail to notify the police who the driver was!

Mobile ones don't flash. Also, they allow a certain amount over the limit to correct for any error in your speedometer. This used to be 10% of the speed, plus three mph (so for a 30mph zone, 30 + 10% = 33, add 3 = 36). I'm not sure if that still applies today.

This still applies and also if you wasn't that much over the 10% +3 they will give you the opportunity to go to a speed awareness course and not get any points at all, although the couse will cost you £80.

i remember watching something regarding speeding and the 10% allowance is set for speedo errors but the + 1, 2, 3 or 4 mph depends on the area , some areas its zero tolerance, does anyone know for definate what sheffield's allowance is at the present time?

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if I am repeating what has been said already.

With fixed cameras there tends to be a 10% + 2 "allowance."

With mobiles there may, on occasions be little or no tolerance. Speed awareness courses are populated by drivers caught at 36 to 39mph.

Under the New Drivers Act, licence holders in their first two years after passing have their licence revoked once they reach 6 penalty points.

Revocation means a provisional licence and a retake of both theory and practical tests.

As an aside, insurance companies and the police look out for young drivers being insured on dad's policy and take a dim view of son/daughter driving as the main driver of the vehicle rather than as an occasional named driver.

I have heard of a couple of people who have been caught by the camera vans (not police vans - safety camera partnership vans) and they have both had a warning letter saying that it is not their intention to prosecute, just to change driving attitudes. Just make sure you don't delay in replying if you do get a dreaded form through the door!

Excuse me if this doesn't apply to you but, if you drive 'your dads car' more than him then it is called 'fronting'.

Fronting invalidates your insurance, which means if you drive it more than him..you are driving without insurance.

And if the police catch you then the car will be crushed and you'll both get 6 points so if you've had your license for less than two years you'll lose it, and when you come to get another license you'll find it incredibly hard to get insured and if you do find a company who is willing the fee will be phenomenally high.

But as I said, if it doesn't apply to you then fair enough.

*And you'll have to take a longer, harder driving test.

Excuse me if this doesn't apply to you but, if you drive 'your dads car' more than him then it is called 'fronting'.

Fronting invalidates your insurance, which means if you drive it more than him..you are driving without insurance.

And if the police catch you then the car will be crushed and you'll both get 6 points so if you've had your license for less than two years you'll lose it, and when you come to get another license you'll find it incredibly hard to get insured and if you do find a company who is willing the fee will be phenomenally high.

But as I said, if it doesn't apply to you then fair enough.

*And you'll have to take a longer, harder driving test.

yeah well it doesnt so don't accuse

Simple answer is

Dont speed :)

If you got caught speeding you deserve it.

They are fair with there 10% plus 2/3mph...

Take the punishment :)

Simple answer is

Dont speed :)

Actually no, it isn't. That does not answer the question the OP asked in any way whatsoever.

yeah well it doesnt so don't accuse

Why so snappy? As I said, it wasn't an accusation. =]

But anyway to come back on your original post, if you can't see a big white van with a big camera sign on it that says South Yorkshire Safety Camera Partnership on it until you're right beside it then you really shouldn't be on the road. ;)

Doesn't get more conspicuous than this, or maybe you can't see this one either?

Edited by Forumosaurus