Sheffield Cathedral is marvellous

I'm ashamed to say that it has taken over 20 years of me living in Sheffield before I visited our own Cathedral.

I just happened to be passing today and was drawn towards the entrance. It's a fantastic building. Lots of interesting nooks and cranies and some really lovely carvings, engravings and stonework. I can't believe I've never been in before. Whenever I travel abroad the local church or cathedral is one of the first places I visit so why has it taken me so long to look around my local one.

It was magical today because I also got to hear the choir rehearsing for tonight's recital as I walked around.

If anyone hasn't been I would definitely recommend a visit.

It's taken you that long to go and have a look? Shame on you taxman!

I spent many an hour in there with my niece when she was smaller. She had a fascination with churches, stained glass windows and bells that go 'bong' when she was a little younger. We could while away a complete afternoon looking at all of the details in the wood carvings on the pews and angel spotting in the roof before adjourning outside to listen to the bells strike the hour and then go to the Blue Moon Cafe for an afternoon bun and a drink before a ride home through the tunnel on the tram.

It is a very beautiful place,I haven't been in sheffield's catholic cathedral yet though

Both cathedrals are wonderful fine buildings. The C of E one wins out though - some of it is 500-600 years old. I say C of E but by a quirk of history one of the chapels in there is still consecrated catholic as far as I know.

Both cathedrals are wonderful fine buildings. The C of E one wins out though - some of it is 500-600 years old. I say C of E but by a quirk of history one of the chapels in there is still consecrated catholic as far as I know.

I don't know for certain but would imagine that's possible.

as being C of E it would be English Catholic instead of Roman Catholic.

I have been in both Cathedrals and find them to be equally superb places in their own right.

Furthermore should anybody attend a service at either of them I don't believe you'll notice a huge difference in the mass either.

Tyler's right about St Marie's as it's on Norfolk Row just off Fargate.

MMMMmmmmmmmmm must put St Maries on the list of things to do and a return visit to the Cathedral

It was magical today because I also got to hear the choir rehearsing for tonight's recital as I walked around. If anyone hasn't been I would definitely recommend a visit.

Hope you enjoyed it, Taxman. We were rehearsing for last night's performance of Bach's "Christmas Oratorio", which, if I may say so, went down a storm.

Merry Christmas!

I love Sheffield Cathedral. I go in there whenever I am in town and I just sit and listen to the silence. I love it, I love the atmosphere its got the smell of old old churches of bygone ages and I just sit in the pew and imagine what it must have been like all those years ago. I love the smell and I love wandering around it and just sitting there and praying to God.

Its like a sanctuary for me somewhere to go to think about things and clear my mind. I love Sheffield Cathedral and always will. Its so beautiful.

Lincoln cathedral is beautiful as well, there are name engravings done by people on some of the stone pillars from the 1600's and 1700's its awesome just to think that someone touched that same spot as I did all those years and years ago.

My main reason is though to go and pray to God when I am having problems in my life and to calm me and make me feel at peace.:)

It is a very beautiful place,I haven't been in sheffield's catholic cathedral yet though

Both are equally nice and worth a visit over the coming festive season

Hooch