Recycle plastic coat hangers

Does anyone know where you can recycle your old plastic coat hangers? I've tried charity shops.

Hooch

hooch when you find out please let me know as i have a load in the loft

thanks Kim

I think you'll find the problem is that there are many different 'plastics' which coat hangers can be made out of, Polystyrene, polypropylene, ABS, etc.

For this reason it is usually a nightmare for recycling collectors to sort them into their respective grades and then dealing with them accordingly.

The best way to recycle these items is to source a specific recycling plant and send them direct to them (although they may still want you to separate them beforehand).

Most hangers should have the material lettering stamped on them though, so shouldnt be too hard to identify.

Cheers, C

Another thing that you could do would to see if there's anywhere which could use them rather than recycling them. Have you put them on Freegle? I would imagine that there's a person who does car boots or has a regular clothing stall who would love to have them, just as there are always people who can use packing peanuts, bubble wrap or cardboard boxes.

Can't you just lob them in the big square bins at the recycling banks? You see all sorts of stuff in there.

The ones that say 'Yes please to food tins, drinks cans, baking foil, plastic food containers, carrier bags etc'. Almost anything made of plastic or metal then it would seem.

I think you will find a company called 300 Recycling take all kinds of coat hangers including broken ones. Also it is free!!!

Oops ive just seen you tried that, of course its obvious!

Try giving them away on freebie section, perhaps people would use them if they are doing table top sales or something like that? Its a shame I bet there are loads going spare in peoples wardrobes and they sell them in shops!!!

I take all mine to plumbpolymers 505 carlisle street. I've taken cardboard, paper and plastics. They are very good.

hi most charity shops would love them

I know for a fact that St.Lukes won't accept them. I have took a load to the re-cycling centre at Blackstock Road.