Boots opticians-made me pay in full on ordering specs.

Sod specsavers, go to ASDA. They're selling glasses for £50 all in (or £70 for designer frames). I'm gutted I just got a new pair that I hated but it was an emergency! I'm off to get some new ones that I actually like now I've heard about their offer :D

i agreeasda is best value i just got my specs from there.

Yeah Boots wanted me to pay up front last year.

Most opticians ask for 50% deposit as they are having to make up the glasses to your prescription and they wont be able to re sell them after

Yes they can. Or at least they can sell the frames again and as I've had lenses re-cut to fit a different frame I'm guessing in some cases even the lenses can be re-used.

I had to pay up front for my specs last month at a dedicated opticians - nearly £200 - and that was with 25% off as well!!!!

My eyesight is really bad, so I needed special lenses.

The online stores I tried don't stock my prescription, otherwise I'd give those a go.... Anyone know any that stock high strength lenses????!!!

My Brother-In-Law had his eyes tested at Boots, but had his glasses made up by a company on, I think, Saville Street, evidently they make the glasses for Boots and he saved a fortune.