Paramore/Hardwick family

Hi,

I am looking into my family history.

My mum Rose Marie PARAMORE (later WEST) was born on 17th Sept 1943 as a catholic

Her parents were Rose Mary PARAMORE Nee HARDWICK (b 1918) and John PARAMORE . At mum's birth they lived at 78 STONECLIFFE ROAD SHEFFIELD.

I know little about the family other than John and Rose married in 1942 in SHEFFIELD.

Mum's birth cert states that John was a Private in the Royal Army Medical Corps (I don't know if he served in the war's) and that he was a "Corporation Road sweeper."

I used to see Nan Rose quite a bit as she visited every Christmas. I never met John and believe that he wasn't about a long time before my birth. I don't know if this was due to divorce or death or any other reason.

Myth had it that mum might have lived with her grandfather for a while because John liked a drink or two but I know nothing of this. I think there was some sort of family dispute as mum always told us she had a massive family but I only met a few.

The other thing mum always said was that the men in the family were tall lads (I'm 6'3"). Mum went off and joined the army (Queen Alexander's Royal Army Nursing Corps) I don't know when but she returned to Sheffield in 1965 and 1966 to have my sisters Cheryl and Melanie. At the time she was living with my father Terry WEST in Germanywhere he was serving in the British Army.

When I visited nan in the 70's she was living in a flat/bedsit in Sheffield and although I never met him she had a friend we called Uncle PADDY who I think was her boyfriend.

Nan died in 1980 something and mum died in 1998, both are burried in the City Cemetary ?(On the Manor) and I visit mum's grave when I can to tidy it.

Dad died in 2000 and is burried there too.

If anyone has any information regarding anyone related to th eabove I would love to hear from you. I am sure that I have relatives living who I have never met and I would love to find out about the grand dad I never met.

Email me please

Edited by martymod
to repost

Hi Martymod. It may be of no use to you, but one of the teachers at All Saints' Junior School, Lyons Rd., Pitsmoor in the 1950's was a Miss Paramore.

Hi martymod - you may like to try the Sheffield Indexers site where a lot of family history research is done. You may find someone researching the same tree.

I can tell you there was a Rose M Hardwick born June quarter 1918 in Sheffield - mothers maiden name Botts -

Also a John Paramore born 1917 March quarter mothers maiden name Slingsby

does that ring a bell??

Should point out I am not related in any way just like a challenge

martymod My grandma was Lizzie Paramore who had a brother John,I have sent you an email.

Edited by twinky1

Hi

I was abroad in Ireland and don't think Ihave got the Email..

I have very little info on my John Paramore other than he was a Road Sweeper and also served in the Army during the 2nd World War. He was married to Rose HARDWICK and at the time of their marriage he was registered as living at Desmond Street which is long gone now.

Can you resend the email for me?

Thank

Martin

Hi my maiden name is hardwick and My grandfather james edward hardwick was rose mary hardwicks cousin her father George hardwick was my great grandfathers brother my great grandfather was James edward hardwick ( my grandad was named after his dad ) I don’t have much info because my grandad fell out with his family in the 1940s and moved from attercliffe to wath upon dearne with my nannan Audrey hardwick nee shepherd who was also from attercliffe he never really spoke about his family but I have done some research and I have them all on my tree on ancestry I have just discovered my great grandfather great grandmother and great aunt are all buried together in tinsley park cemetery there’s also 5 other members of the family buried in that cemetery too I don’t know if this convo thread is still open but I have only just stumbled across it x

Hi there, I finally got round to transfering all my information onto Ancestry.com and you may well see me on there now trying to link everyone. I think I may well have made some mistakes between Hardwick and Argent. I went to a funeral in the early mid 1970s with a Derbyshire link (from memory) and there was a big issue that the house had been cleared before the funeral. I vaguely remember my mum telling me at the time that nan Rose wouldn't allow her to talk to some of the family present although I don't know who they were. She always spoke fondly of Uncle Arthur who I have met a couple of times.

Hope you find my tree and can put me right on some stuff.

Regards Martin WEST

There was a family of Hardwicks living half way down Gleadless Common opposite Hurlfield Ave . they lived there until around 1980 ish .

Mr Hardwick was very tall , they had a daughter who's name was Rita .

Thanks to all who have replied on this thread. I now have a very capable analyst who is my 15 year old daughter who is researching the family tree so hopefully be able to get in touch with those who contacted us over the years. Thanks Martin

Hi Marty mod we are definitely on about the same family I wish I could post a picture on here of my family tree I also have Arthur and is children on my tree two . Well my grandfather roses cousin didn’t speak to any of them family ever again we don’t think when he moved and married my nannan my dad is son said him and non of his siblings knew any of my grandfathers family my Nan did use to say they was a well to do family with catholic and gypsy connections I also have John paramore roses husband on my tree too I will try and post the information I have on him 

Also my dad says there is Derbyshire connections  up near hope valley Peak District and Aston area and hault hucknall Derbyshire 

John paramore born 9th feb 1917 Sheffield to John paramore age 29 and Matilda paramore New slingsby age 21 he married rose hardwick October 1942 in Sheffield he died December 1973 in Sheffield age  56 

Edited by Megzy