Errors in the Bible

From memory you were looking at the last few million years? instead of the whole spectrum of 4.5 billion years which includes all the geological periods.

How surprising your memory is deceptive.

[Matt] demonstrated as others have to you in the past that it doesn't matter how long to pretend a day in genesis 1 is the creation account is still completely irreconcilable with science as it describes the wrong things in the wrong order.

This seems rather on topic:

Sumerians Look On In Confusion As Christian God Creates World

Members of the earth's earliest known civilization, the Sumerians, looked on in shock and confusion some 6,000 years ago as God, the Lord Almighty, created Heaven and Earth.

According to recently excavated clay tablets inscribed with cuneiform script, thousands of Sumerians—the first humans to establish systems of writing, agriculture, and government—were working on their sophisticated irrigation systems when the Father of All Creation reached down from the ether and blew the divine spirit of life into their thriving civilization.

"I do not understand," reads an ancient line of pictographs depicting the sun, the moon, water, and a Sumerian who appears to be scratching his head. "A booming voice is saying, 'Let there be light,' but there is already light. It is saying, 'Let the earth bring forth grass,' but I am already standing on grass."

"Everything is here already," the pictograph continues. "We do not need more stars."

Historians believe that, immediately following the biblical event, Sumerian witnesses returned to the city of Eridu, a bustling metropolis built 1,500 years before God called for the appearance of dry land, to discuss the new development. According to records, Sumerian farmers, priests, and civic administrators were not only befuddled, but also took issue with the face of God moving across the water, saying that He scared away those who were traveling to Mesopotamia to participate in their vast and intricate trade system.

Moreover, the Sumerians were taken aback by the creation of the same animals and herb-yielding seeds that they had been domesticating and cultivating for hundreds of generations.

"The Sumerian people must have found God's making of heaven and earth in the middle of their well-established society to be more of an annoyance than anything else," said Paul Helund, ancient history professor at Cornell University. "If what the pictographs indicate are true, His loud voice interrupted their ancient prayer rituals for an entire week."

According to the cuneiform tablets, Sumerians found God's most puzzling act to be the creation from dust of the first two human beings.

"These two people made in his image do not know how to communicate, lack skills in both mathematics and farming, and have the intellectual capacity of an infant," one Sumerian philosopher wrote. "They must be the creation of a complete idiot.

^ That was from The Onion.^

Anyhow...

Has anybody mentioned the Skeptics Annotated Bible? I couldn't find anything using search, and I don't have time to read through 40+ pages just now.

The S.A.B. also deals with the Koran and Book of Mormon.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Is the biggest error the omission of the standard disclaimer from the start that says "The characters and events depicted in this book are fictitious. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental"

Lets have the evidence. Everything I have seen proves the historicity of the Bible.

Should have gone to Specsave.

Is the biggest error the omission of the standard disclaimer from the start that says "The characters and events depicted in this book are fictitious. Any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental"

This should be attached to every copy!

http://rlv.zcache.com/bible_warning_sticker-p217586842335457670q0ou_400.jpg

Plekhanov and the rest, you Britons are ahead of us Americans even with our separation of church and state: why PM James Callaghan was an atheist and Neil Kinnock, had he become PM, would've been the second one. Here it took our great Pres. Obama to even invite us to the White House!

We are a rejected minority here!

The evidencet shows no Garden of Eden, no stay in Egypt and no Exodus and that David and Solomon were petty chieftains. Check Amazon for the many books illumintating the Buy-bull as useless for historians and archaeologists. And errantists have no reason to find it still useful: its soterioloy is nonsensical period. Yeshua was a mere man, just another saviour-god, miracle monger and cult leader, amongst so many of his times. He uttered nothing of value that others had not already uttered and he had silly and dangerous advise. Lust isn't adultery, and please protect yourself rather than proffer the other cheek and the whole body for grave harm!And whatever the nature of Hell, his loving of it shows him to be a misanthopist. Love thy neigbor goes with enslaving her! He might have been a schizotypal, leading schizoids.

[i'm a schizotypal, without the twins of the paranormal and the supernatural that our great Paul Kurtz calls the " Transcendent Temptation,' which book blasts both superstitions. Thanks to him for his Prometheous publisher.

Polly Toynbee knows the score!

Edited by ignostic
pun.,sp.

Plekhanov and the rest, you Britons are ahead of us Americans even with our separation of church and state: why PM James Callaghan was an atheist and Neil Kinnock, had he become PM, would've been the second one. Here it took our great Pres. Obama to even invite us to the White House!

We are a rejected minority here!

Polly Toynbee knows the score!

Speaking as an American and an ex-pat from Britain it's totally irrelevant to me whether a president is a member of a religious group or not. My concern is that either he or she is a) Qualified for the office due to their experience and b) Is that person able to handle that very demanding position

Speaking as an American and an ex-pat from Britain it's totally irrelevant to me whether a president is a member of a religious group or not. My concern is that either he or she is a) Qualified for the office due to their experience and b) Is that person able to handle that very demanding position

If only the rest of the US felt like you, a gallup poll (admittedly 10 years old now) found that 48% of Americans would refuse to vote for an atheist regardless of his policies or character.

Harleyman,sir, indeed!

My point is that of recognition as just fellow humans rather than as thread to real morality.

flamingjimmy, that's the point,sir. Oh, I understand that there are 12% who believe in a higher power [

not God] and 14% with no religion, many of whom probably are atheists or agnostics but refuse to say so.

People know about the new atheists but don't know that we've many books. from elementary to advanced like "Logic and Theism," " Arguing about Gods, " Arguing for Atheism," God,Freedom and Immortality," " Atheism: a Philosohical Justification" and" The Non-Existence of God" These last two give the ignostic argument in the form of the incompatibility of His attributes.

One can examine putative evidence for Him without being omniscient to find Him nowhere!

Edited by ignostic
sp.,pun.