Salt Bins & Road Gritting In Sheffield

Can the public go and help themselves to this grit?

According to the web page they have stopped selling rock salt to the public

But if they fill up the grit bins near you then there is nothing stopping you taking some to grit your path/pavement/road

i for one think the council on this occasion has done an amazing job

why does anyone need any grit now? can you not hear the dripping of thawing snow

Here in Barnsley, our neighbours have been discussing the purchase of a lockable grit bin for our use only. We have about 20m of private road, before it joins with the councils highway, however they never grit past the "main" part of the road. There was a new extension to the road built about 2 years ago, which is council owned but never gets any attention.

The problem with this solution is many fold:

1) How to get people to pay

2) Who collects the money?

3) Who is responsible for gritting the road??

The list goes on.

I think by far the best solution is for people to buy rock salt in the summer months and then when it snows clear your drive, but do the bit by your house, and sprinkle a bit of grit down. If everyone did this the pavements and roads would largely be clear.

3) Who is responsible for gritting the road??

The list goes on.

but do the bit by your house, and sprinkle a bit of grit down. If everyone did this the pavements and roads would largely be clear.

Spot on, if everybody did a bit then there would not be too many problems, but sadly some people prefer to look at others doing it from the comfort of thier warm house.

Spot on, if everybody did a bit then there would not be too many problems, but sadly some people prefer to look at others doing it from the comfort of thier warm house.

Myself and a neighbour spend 3 hours clearing the snow & ice on our road. There are 5 houses on our "bit" and not one other of them offered to help.

Myself and a neighbour spend 3 hours clearing the snow & ice on our road. There are 5 houses on our "bit" and not one other of them offered to help.

well, you've found out what kind of people you are living amongst. :suspect:

well, you've found out what kind of people you are living amongst. :suspect:

yes, *&%* you jack iam allright :roll:

Well I for 1 am proper pi**ed off with the residents of our road. We live on an very small but steep unadopted road that is completely unsurfaced and has been for years, hence no gritters coming down it. so it has been covered in compacted snow for the best part of a month.

Our grit box was emptied in december so I contacted via the link on page 1 of this thread. (thanks by the way for that exmbrd) and the box was refilled while we were out.

By the time we got back the whole bloody lot had gone all the drives had been gritted and little sections of the road at the end of drives. All I had was a note from scc saying hope I was happy with the response.

And before anyone says "first come first served" last February when it snowed me and my partner spent 2 hours gritting the whole road top to bottom with shovels, We even had residents leaning out of windows shouting "just chuck a bit on our drive while your doing that please"

So thanks to everyone for been so selfish and thinking of no one else. Thanks to you a pregnant lady cant stay upright on the pavement outside her home.

I think the gritters have done a marvellous job, they must feel like they are fighting a losing battle. I understand our road is not a priority it has so few residents and they dont have to do it anyway as its unadopted (although they usually do because th very top is adopted and it would be harder work for them to turn the gritter around than just do the full length) I have not had a problem parking the car on the nearest main road and walking home.

What gets me is the grit box been emptied. I know one resident has taken a wheelbarrow full of it and stored it in the garage whilst I cant stay on my feet on the pavement outside.

Edited by Bethsmummy