Salt Bins & Road Gritting In Sheffield

I live in S6 and many of the very steep side roads have 1 grit bin if we're lucky and most are empty. The roads are dangerous but the footpaths more so as people tend to grit the roads themselves to get their cars out - then pedestrians walk on the roads which is a bit dangerous when cars break. I've just been along South Road and sensibly, many drivers had parked on the main road rather than risk their safety and that of other people and stationary cars. What a shame that Parking Force were eagerly ticketing each and every car along south road for adopting some common sense to make money from them! I can understand it is a bus route but all were parked sensibly and all were passable but they were both laughing as they worked their way along and having lived on these dangerous hills for many years thought it a step too far given the amount of black ice and lack of options as to where to leave your vehicle safely.

:confused:as usual all of the councils throughout the uk are now telling us that they are experiancing major shortages of all types of grit when will they ever get this situation sorted year in year out

Went to the "grit/salt" bin tonight as it states on the bin lid, but it's got sand in it?

anyone tell me why that is? sorry if this has been asked before :)

Went to the "grit/salt" bin tonight as it states on the bin lid, but it's got sand in it?

anyone tell me why that is? sorry if this has been asked before :)

Yup, it has, earlier in this thread, and the answer was:

It will be grit sand mixed with the white salt that was bought last year, not rock salt...

So it is grit/salt. :D

tried phoning before christmas,from 9am...10am, sounds as though they picked the phone up and put it straight back down again, and from 10am ...10.30 am no answer at all...good old sheffield council!

I don't think anyone doubts that you gritter drivers do a good job. It's the speed at which the council organise it that's the problem. I have driven round Parson Cross and Oughtibridge tonight and the roads are still very bad.

agree totally, those who make the decisions,who alledgedly get paid well enough,i wouldnt like them to arrange my party in the brewery!

tried phoning before christmas,from 9am...10am, sounds as though they picked the phone up and put it straight back down again, and from 10am ...10.30 am no answer at all...good old sheffield council!

Never had a problem when I've phoned them on 2734567...

i think its probably cos i am employed by them,,,

i think its probably cos i am employed by them,,,

Must have recognised your ring tone...

:D

Well done has to be said to the gritter/snow plough drivers of Sheffield and surrounding areas. Depite adverse conditions most main roads have been kept open and running.

Lets not forget how many times they have to do the rounds each evening when we are all tucked up in our beds. Its so easy to criticise when we have chaos caused by so many people doing inapropriate things in bad weather.

I was offered a lift to work today by some kind people in a 4x4. Lots of people helping others and stopping to offer info and help. Let the community spirit and good will among the folk of Sheffield continue! Its just like winter used to be!!

Well done has to be said to the gritter/snow plough drivers of Sheffield and surrounding areas. Depite adverse conditions most main roads have been kept open and running.

Lets not forget how many times they have to do the rounds each evening when we are all tucked up in our beds. Its so easy to criticise when we have chaos caused by so many people doing inapropriate things in bad weather.

I was offered a lift to work today by some kind people in a 4x4. Lots of people helping others and stopping to offer info and help. Let the community spirit and good will among the folk of Sheffield continue! Its just like winter used to be!!

hear hear! :D

needed to get to manchester this morning(gave up in the end)lots of snow ploughs trying to keep m1 open,so they are doing there best.