BT home hub wireless limited connectivity problem

Help! This problem appeared from out of the blue a while ago. I've got a PC wired to a Bt home hub and also have a wireless laptop. For no reason out of the blue, suddenly the laptop's saying it has 'limited connectivity' to the home hub so I can't connect to the Net with it.

Last time, despite BT telling me it was the laptop that was at fault and at great expense I'd have to send it back to be fixed (thank goodness I didn't listen to them!!!!), I messed around with it, ticked a box or something and hey presto it worked.

Now, this was a few months ago and I'm darned if I can remember what I did last time! Any clues? I know it was something incredibly simple!

PS it probably happened as a result of an automatic Bt home hub update.

Help!!!!!

I don't have experience of BT Hubs but guess it is same as a router by any other name. Wonder if the update set the hub back to default and kicked your laptop off - you may need to include it back into the allowed list.

To do this you will need the MAC address of the wireless card in your laptop - open a DOS prompt by clicking on Start/Run/and type in cmd - this should open a COMMAND prompt window - type in 'ipconfig /all' - this will list all of your network cards and their information of your laptop. The MAC address starts with 00 then dashes and a combination of pairs of 6 numbers and letters (hexadecimal) separated by dashes - when logged on to the hub you might need to enter the MAC code manually - replace the dashes with colons [:].

Hope this helps.

My solution was to (a) ignore the wallies in the call centre, (b) get rid of the home hub - their firmware updates can cause a lot of problems, and © revert to the original BT Voyager modem.

Result = 1 laptop and one desktop back to "normal".

Sorry the above's a tad negative, but it worked for our set up, so.....

we have a bt homehub and exactly the same has started happening to us, i have put it down to the windy weather as it soetimes effects our bt vision too... if you click on the 2computers you can repair the problem or i found disconnecting then connecting worked everytime :)

I don't have experience of BT Hubs but guess it is same as a router by any other name. Wonder if the update set the hub back to default and kicked your laptop off - you may need to include it back into the allowed list.

To do this you will need the MAC address of the wireless card in your laptop - open a DOS prompt by clicking on Start/Run/and type in cmd - this should open a COMMAND prompt window - type in 'ipconfig /all' - this will list all of your network cards and their information of your laptop. The MAC address starts with 00 then dashes and a combination of pairs of 6 numbers and letters (hexadecimal) separated by dashes - when logged on to the hub you might need to enter the MAC code manually - replace the dashes with colons [:].

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but last time it was something very, very simple - but can't remember what it was! Just a case of ticking or unticking a box, or even just retyping in the password (though I've tried that and it keeps reverting back to the original password...). Nothing involving MAC address, etc... but thanks...

In the address bar on your browser type -- bthomehub.home This will take you

to the hub settings and you can see if there is any problem. you may need to change

the wireless channel for better connection to the laptop. make sure the laptop is switched on before you make any changes.

Have you tried changing ure wireless channel in the hub manager?

I get this regular if i set the channel to "automatic selection"

I choose channel 6, and when they do an update, i have to reset it to channel 6 other wise i get same as yourself.

Hi...we have the new bt home hub..and all was fine until a couple of weeks ago..and our 2 boys lost their internet connections..(main pc downstairs is connected to hub via a cable) but the boys are connected wirelessly...got the instruction booklet out and it said to push the reset to default button...and (touchwood) its ok at the moment....give that a try...our button is on the side of the hub...try it...(watch the damed thing go off again now I've opened my mouth):hihi:

Have you tried changing ure wireless channel in the hub manager?

I get this regular if i set the channel to "automatic selection"

I choose channel 6, and when they do an update, i have to reset it to channel 6 other wise i get same as yourself.

I don't have BT connection and this is also my channel of choice - the hardware wanted to select 11 and 6 has always given me the best speed.