Really despondant, why bid??

Thanks Dudey, that's exactly what I meant :)

They are just letting us rot here with the students and the addicts - I feel trapped and no-one in the council gives a rat's arse.

It's like we are being penalized for being poor.

I realise that it's going to be difficult because they have sold off all the housing surplus but what about the families in Sheffield?!

This could be me just ranting but on the other hand I might be justified, I'm sure other people have been in this situation?

The housing 'surplus'? that has been sold, has mainly been through Right to Buy, and people who are lucky enough to get a council property of a type they want in an area they want seem to like the opportunity to buy at a discount. Wouldn't you if you got the chance? Some estates are now owned by housing associations, but they weren't sold off, they were transferred as the result of tenants' votes.

If you have been offered three properties that you bid on (thats what you appear to be saying) why haven't you accepted one of them?

The council have hundreds of applicants for their housing, so what is it that makes you different from the others? 'And, what do mean about them letting you rot with students/addicts? Few students live in council accommodation, if they aren't in halls, they usually share in private rented. I'm just trying to get my head round what you are actually complaining about, as its unclear from your posts.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Thanks Dudey, that's exactly what I meant :)

They are just letting us rot here with the students and the addicts - I feel trapped and no-one in the council gives a rat's arse.

It's like we are being penalized for being poor.

I realise that it's going to be difficult because they have sold off all the housing surplus but what about the families in Sheffield?!

This could be me just ranting but on the other hand I might be justified, I'm sure other people have been in this situation?

I suggest you read the post immediately above the one I've quoted. In there is the really important word - aspiration. To have a home which exactly meets your needs is an aspiration not a right.

So you've been offered three properties? What are you whining about then?

That's three more properties than most.

No, that's three properties in the desired areas that we bid on (I have bid every week since it started with the bidding system) and got nowhere and one phonecall from a housing association that turned out to be the other side of Sheffield from where we want to.

We are in the center of town in council property, where they have recently (in the last few years) had a rise in student accomodation that are close to use. We are not in a position to buy it.

Okay, so confusion has hit me. How can we get to s10 area, there doesn't seem to be a set area listed for bidding there. Thank you for all your input, it has been every enlightening for me :)

Edited by Moonfire
making things clearer

No, that's three properties in the desired areas that we bid on (I have bid every week since it started with the bidding system) and got nowhere and one phonecall from a housing association that turned out to be the other side of Sheffield from where we want to.

We are in the center of town in council property, where they have recently (in the last few years) had a rise in student accomodation that are close to use. We are not in a position to buy it.

Okay, so confusion has hit me. How can we get to s10 area, there doesn't seem to be a set area listed for bidding there. Thank you for all your input, it has been every enlightening for me :)

Every property that becomes available to let is advertised. S10 doesn't have nearly as much social housing as many other parts of Sheffield. There are no large council estates like Parson Cross for instance. And, lots are age banded flats for older people.

However, you can see what social housing (council and housing association) is in the area, by opening the links here: http://www.sheffieldhomes.org.uk/find-a-new-home/helping-you-find-a-home/a-guide-to-waiting-time/north-west--waiting-times

The top link shows all the social housing in the North West area which includes S6 and covers the area as far as Stocksbridge, but S10 is in there too. The second and third links show what has become available from July - Sept 09. Have a read, this is reality. For instance, a two bedroomed flat at Westminster (Lodge Moor) was let to someone who had been waiting since 1995, and 51 people bid for it. A two bedroomed house at Springvale went to someone who had been waiting since 1978 and it had 169 bids.