Really despondant, why bid??

We are council tenants and have been bidding for about a year or two and been on the waiting list for 6 and in that time we have had three properties that have even been in the right area, even though I have marked all areas - well apart from Manor and Arbourthorne. Has anyone got an idea to help our situation?:help:

We are council tenants and have been bidding for about a year or two and been on the waiting list for 6 and in that time we have had three properties that have even been in the right area, even though I have marked all areas - well apart from Manor and Arbourthorne. Has anyone got an idea to help our situation?:help:

Eh?

Can you please repeat your post please as it doesn't really make sense.

Cheers

I think she's saying that she's been on the council list for the last 6 years ...and for the last year or two they have been bidding on the properties .. even though they have marked all area's they have only been offered 3 properties in theyre desired locations .. Can anyone give her any advice to help her situation :D

I don't think it means an offer of three, more like only three have become available in areas the OP wants. The truth of the matter is that there just aren't enough council properties to suit everyone's aspirations. Only one in four of each type on each estate will go to applicants with waiting time. The others are for people with priority, and thats been explained loads of times here on the forum. Unless the OP has a need for a different property, and dependent on what she's bidding for (she hasn't made it clear why she needs or wants to move) it could be a very long wait. As an existing council tenant its unlikely she'll be assessed as in housing need unless she and her family are overcrowded, or a disability or illness makes in very difficult to live in the property.

Thanks Dudey, that's exactly what I meant :)

They are just letting us rot here with the students and the addicts - I feel trapped and no-one in the council gives a rat's arse.

It's like we are being penalized for being poor.

I realise that it's going to be difficult because they have sold off all the housing surplus but what about the families in Sheffield?!

This could be me just ranting but on the other hand I might be justified, I'm sure other people have been in this situation?

Where are you currently? If you're already in a council house then your way ahead of most people on here who post about it. They usually rant about not being able to get anything at all.

Rent from a private landlord is about your only other option, as you said, there arn't enough properties out there.

have you tried a housing association, like Northern Counties?

They are just letting us rot here with the students and the addicts - I feel trapped and no-one in the council gives a rat's arse.

It's like we are being penalized for being poor.

I realise that it's going to be difficult because they have sold off all the housing surplus but what about the families in Sheffield?!

This could be me just ranting but on the other hand I might be justified, I'm sure other people have been in this situation?

So you've been offered three properties? What are you whining about then?

That's three more properties than most.

There is other options, private renting? Buying a house?

Yet another misconception of Sheffield Council housing. Has it occured to you that more people than ever are bidding to live in council managed properties?

You are in the lucky position to live in a council home that some would love to be given the oppurtunity to live in. If you dont like it you can move out and try private renting or buying a home. Give someone else the chance of a property they may well desperately need and cherish.

Edited by Ms Macbeth
fixed quotes

get yourself on the northern county they will give you a house in a better area straight away! but you cant buy them if you decided too like council houses

get yourself on the northern county they will give you a house in a better area straight away! but you cant buy them if you decided too like council houses

Not necessarily true. Like all housing associations they are also seriously stretched.