Gym - free weights, halfway

Hi,

I'm currently trying the stronglifts.com 5x5 program (weight lifting/strength training) and training at Killamarsh gym. Which is a bit small and ill-equipped for the program.

I need somewhere with a power cage, olympic bar-bells and plenty of free weights that isn't over contended for use.

Also need somewhere that's open reasonably late (generally at the gym for an hour sometime between 8 and 10), near halfway and that doesn't cost the earth.

I think Sam Jones is about 40 quid a month, which is a bit steep! I've found a place at westfield, but that shuts at 7:30 which rules that out.

Anyone suggest anywhere?

nowt else is round there...40 a month is not cheap but not unreasonable. i dont go there btw - mine is free at work!

there might be one at a hotel in RENISHAW but i dunno if it wud suit u

Cant think of anywhere either mate. In regards to your training program though I can recommend it. I hd been training for 3 years and found I was no longer gaining, so tried the 5x5 workout and its given me some real improvements in around 3 months

Have you thought about Springs Leisure Centre (don't think it's too far) on East Bank Rd. It's open till 9.30pm and is only £25 for the month

Thanks for the replies.

@art_blaze - do you know if they have decent free weights and a power rack? hard to tell from the pics on the site. Plenty of weight machines, but no shots of their free weights. Good looking kit though.

Thanks for the replies.

@art_blaze - do you know if they have decent free weights and a power rack? hard to tell from the pics on the site. Plenty of weight machines, but no shots of their free weights. Good looking kit though.

They have lots of free weights they are all at the back of the gym, I don't know what a power rack is.

OK, what I need is a rack with pegs at various heights to put the bar on to load weight so then you step under the bar to get it onto your shoulders. Kind of like you have on a free-weight bench for bench pressing, but higher :)

Thanks for the replies!

oh, and I'm going to try and get up to check it out, but a bit of no time at the moment (christmas is coming etc) hence being lazy and asking :)

I am 100% sure they got a power rack. In the left bottom corner. Don't be lazy get up there. If I see a new guy in that corner then I know it's you.

work it

Well my membership for the month at Killamarsh runs for a little while longer yet, but sounds like I'll probably be up there mon/wed/thu from after the 15th, sounds ideal, especially with the swimming pool :)

So I'll be the bloke with long hair and a beard there :)