Gilders at Norton - poor service

After buying a new Golf GT from Gilders three years ago and (a few problems with DPF filter) and only 25.000 on the clock to date and regular service at Gilders I returned before the first MOT was due and warranty run out I visited Gilders Norton with some noise coming from the front n/s door. The car passed the MOT but the noise continued after a few days I rang them and rebooked the car in ‘no problem Sir we will sort it’

I went to collect the car to be greeted with this long list,

Carried out road test........found rattle from centre air vents, esp button, centre console, n/s upper B pillar, o/s air vent, front small wishbone squeaking.....road test again front n/s door rattle gone.

I then said do I need to rebook this in for the warranty work to be carried out. NO SIR YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY the warranty has run out. Mr Gilder why was this report and faults not found three weeks earlier when under warranty? What an absolute disgrace they will not be servicing my car anymore or even buying another VW from Gilders.

:mad::mad:

Rattles and squeaks are notoriously hard to track down and cure I doubt if much of the work would have been under warranty anyway.

Thanks for comment but what happened to good customer service. Nothing wrong 3 weeks ago when went in under warranty

Rattles and squeaks are notoriously hard to track down and cure I doubt if much of the work would have been under warranty anyway.

my last lexus suffered from rattles and squeaks, all were sorted out under warranty including a new drivers seat, door seals and so on.

i would complain that these faults were reported whilst under warranty and also complain directly to vw

If you asked them to look at it while it was still under warranty then it should be covered. With most warrantees you only have to report the fault during the time. If you call VW customer services and talk to them you might get somewhere.

Cheers for advise. Lets hope there customer service is better than Gilders. What jobs worth they are.

Someone I know took a 10 year old ford to Lookers because of shaking/ vibration. They told him a wishbone had cracked and other things, it was the worst case they had seen and wanted £450 to fix it. He declined and was thinking of scrapping the car as its not worth much more than this when a friend suggested taking it to a local mechanic he knew for a second opinion. He put it on a ramp and could not find any of the problems Lookers had found, changed a weight / balance whatever they are called that fit on the wheels, even got another mechanic friend who is a qualified mot tester to check it who could not find the faults either suggested by Lookers and guess what - this rectified the vibration - cost £40.

So he will not be using Lookers again.

My wife had a Mini and spend a fortune on diagnostics at two garages to sort out a rubbing noise, neither of them got to the bottom of it, hence my comments.

If you had a specific rattle why didn’t you offer to road test the car with a technician and point out the noise? We all become used to the sound of our cars and tune in to different noises, a different driver may point out rattles you have just got used to hearing? From experience the best way is to always point out noises. I would suggest not worrying about the noises reported if you hadn’t picked up on them and just concentrate on the one you took the car in for?:|

I had a scraping noise on my car and went to Gilders at Norton. A technician came on a road test with me for about 30 mins, he then took it in the workshop and after approx 20mins returned with a small polished pebble.

3 seperate RAC guys had failed to find this! So I'm pleased so far.

I'm less impressed with the occassional oil topups it needs approx every 4k miles.