New recycling proposals from Sheffield Council

The following is an email sent by my mum to Councillor Scriven regarding the new recycling proposals from Sheffield City Council. Was wondering if anyone had their own views on this.

Dear Councillor Scriven

It was with great dismay that I read the article featured in “The Star” dated 12 November 2009, in which you and Councillor Shaffaq Mohammed outlined your proposed changes for future recycling arrangements due to take place in 2010. The proposals seem to bear very little resemblance to the questionnaire included in one of the pamphlets issued by the Council many months ago, though this is hardly surprising as I thought this was ambiguously phrased and commented to that effect on completion of the document.

I am one of the lucky householders who was included in the green bin pilot and have never been able to understand why this was not implemented city-wide. To have this replaced with sacks fills me with dread; does the Council not realise that we do not all have a “man about the house!” Garden waste is extremely heavy, and a rain-logged sack would be impossible for me, and many friends and neighbours to lift to the kerbside.

Similarly the changeover proposed for the blue-bin seems a retrograde step. A box (for which space will still have to be found) holding newspapers and cardboard will also be very heavy and difficult to lift. A wheeled bin is much easier to move. Thanks to a friend’s transport I currently take my plastics and glass to the local supermarket for recycling and would welcome this being done from the kerbside. Therefore why not keep the blue bin for its current use and introduce another bin for plastics and glass. Incidentally you have neglected to include aluminium and steel cans in any collections.

I appreciate some householders, e.g. residents in flats and terraced houses would face difficulty in finding space to accommodate extra bins but surely bin sharing would be the answer in these cases.

Hopefully these comments will be considered, but I suspect that in typical Local Authority fashion the decisions have already been made and the Council will not be for turning.

I am one of the lucky householders who was included in the green bin pilot and have never been able to understand why this was not implemented city-wide. To have this replaced with sacks fills me with dread; does the Council not realise that we do not all have a “man about the house!” Garden waste is extremely heavy, and a rain-logged sack would be impossible for me, and many friends and neighbours to lift to the kerbside.

Veolia offer a free assited collection service. Just ring them and they will do all the moving.

Similarly the changeover proposed for the blue-bin seems a retrograde step. A box (for which space will still have to be found) holding newspapers and cardboard will also be very heavy and difficult to lift. A wheeled bin is much easier to move.

This will be collected every two weeks instead of every month as is currently the case with the blue bin.

On the 'too heavy to move' argument see above.

Thanks to a friend’s transport I currently take my plastics and glass to the local supermarket for recycling and would welcome this being done from the kerbside. Therefore why not keep the blue bin for its current use and introduce another bin for plastics and glass.

That would mean some areas having three big bins per house! This option means less clutter and is easier for those with smaller houses.

Incidentally you have neglected to include aluminium and steel cans in any collections.

This statement is totally incorrect. Cans are included in the new blue bin service which will move to a fortnightly collection instead of a monthly collection.

I agree- the council have again not listened to what we need! I have been using the green bags for my garden rubbish and in the summer I can usually fill 6 of these every two weeks. Obvioulsy other people are doing the same as the pavements around this area in particular have been littered with green bags awaiting collection and it looks a real mess! I can also easily fill my blue paper bin once a month so I am sure the new 'box' will not be adequate. I have to go to recyle plastics, glass, tins etc once a fortnight and take about 4 boxes full so the new service will be woefully inadequate for my recycling needs and we are only a family of 3!

fill your bin up and put the rest in the black bin.....you have then done your bit of recycling.....or ask for two blue bins......