Barriers at Sheffield Station - Application Rejected (Nov 2009)

Great news.

Why not build another bridge .... maybe funds are available from some euro/regeneration/transport pot or other.

there were - that's where the money to build the present bridge came from, linking the station with the tram stop and making other improvements for the benefit of the city, not just rail companies.

Do you realise that you DON'T actually need a ticket to traverse a bridge? The bridge is not a mandatory ticketing area, and as such you cannot impede access across it.

It's a PUBLIC area. The public need free access on the bridge, to get to the ticket office, etc,

I amazed at how some people have turned this into a day out. Did you all meet in McDonalds for a cheeseburger at lunch?

All this fuss and money spent. Why do you maintain it's a public area - IT IS A TRAIN STATION WHERE YOU NEED TO HAVE A TICKET TO TRAVEL!

Needless to say the pram pushers will not use it. The protestors will find their next thing to campaign about.

IT IS A TRAIN STATION WHERE YOU NEED TO HAVE A TICKET TO TRAVEL!

(whisper) not if you're not getting on a train. (/whisper)

I stand corrected if I'm wrong but I'm sure I heard that a law or railway bylaw exists which in its basic terms means that ticket staff cannot prevent people from actually using the footbridge. I've tried in vain to find something to confirm this but I can't.

I doubt EMT will fund fully staffed 'human' barriers on a permanent basis.

Sorry but you have to stand corrected and as for doubting that EMT will fund fully staffed human barriers - the staff are already in place and waiting , no good doing manned barriers all the time because if it worked why have barriers fitted ?

(whisper) not if you're not getting on a train. (/whisper)

What else are you going to do there?

If you are dropping someone off you are allowed to wait in the concourse, and use of the shops. But there's a line where it becomes 'passengers only'. I can't walk up to an airport gate and claim 'it's a public right of way'.

All this money and time spent, and now you people will now moan there isn't enough money for something else? Do you not realise that your moaning, complaints and protests actually prevents our society moving forwards?

I amazed at how some people have turned this into a day out. Did you all meet in McDonalds for a cheeseburger at lunch?

All this fuss and money spent. Why do you maintain it's a public area - IT IS A TRAIN STATION WHERE YOU NEED TO HAVE A TICKET TO TRAVEL!

Needless to say the pram pushers will not use it. The protestors will find their next thing to campaign about.

so cant people use the facilities if they dont travel ? dont think the shop owners would like that

come on slowcoach. catch up with the rest of Sheffield. the station bridge is commonly used because it provides safe and practical access from one side of the city to the other and not just because there are also trains you can catch.

Sorry but you have to stand corrected and as for doubting that EMT will fund fully staffed human barriers - the staff are already in place and waiting , no good doing manned barriers all the time because if it worked why have barriers fitted ?

I stand corrected by your factless post???...that's not quite how it works, but well done for trying.

come on slowcoach. catch up with the rest of Sheffield. the station bridge is commonly used because it provides safe and practical access from one side of the city to the other and not just because there are also trains you can catch.

It provides a means to get from the station entrance to the platforms.

There's another bridge further down, plus many other routes to get into town.

But of course the station bridge is the quickest route, and people can be bothered to make the effort to go the other ways. And this is why every back pain, leg problem comes to fold as reasons why they should be allowed to take the easy option because they are lazy use the bridge.

Do you not realise that your moaning, complaints and protests actually prevents our society moving forwards?

Surely you mean backwards.

According to your logic the people in Cumbria who can no longer cross the bridges that link their communities have moved forwards to a better world.

Destroy all bridges in the name of progress!

Edited by ptigga

It provides a means to get from the station entrance to the platforms.

There's another bridge further down, plus many other routes to get into town.

But of course the station bridge is the quickest route, and people can be bothered to make the effort to go the other ways. And this is why every back pain, leg problem comes to fold as reasons why they should be allowed to take the easy option because they are lazy use the bridge.

People don't use wheelchairs because they're lazy.

And for many it is the quickest (and safest, and more attractive and convenient) route. that's why public money was put into doing it up.

According to your logic the people in Cumbria who can no longer cross the bridges that link their communities have moved forwards to a better world.

though in the case of Workington ...