Rising Sun Pub history

Originally posted by Ousetunes

I've only ever been in there a couple of times. It used to be a John Smith's house which might explain why I ventured across town, to try the hand-pulled (probably) Magnet.

It's also visible from the railway line, isn't it?

Good luck with your new venture. Tell us if you're getting Magnet back on tap.

i used to keep the rising sun in 1992 and it was a tetley house,dont think it was ever a john smiths house:thumbsup:

Hi There risingsun. There is a photo of your pub in a book called Sheffield Public Houses, by Michael Liversidge, but no info with it. there are other books in the library concerned with Sheffield pubs, you may get more info there.

Rising Sun does a nice pint of Tetley & Guinness. Aint been in for a good few months ... bit af a pain having to walk back up the hill. I cant remember it being a Smiths pub .... but only lived here since 1991.

My grandparents had the shop straight across from your pub. It was demolished in 1976 along with all the terraced houses that went up Jenkin Road. It was called Shepherds shop, They ran it from 1940's till it was knocked down. I lived above the shop in 1964 until 1966 and used to play with the grand-daughter of the owner of your pub at that time, but i can't remember the names.

does anyone have any ols photos of The Rising Sun at the bottom of Jenkin Road at brightside I have recently bought it and I am trying to find some history Or was you a regular there and can share some old memories

My Grandparents lived up Jenkin Road and I remember that on a Sunday night my Granddad would take a couple of glass pop bottles down to the Sun and have them filled with beer from the off sales window. We'd get a small bottle of orangeade and a packet of Nib-its and walk back up the hill to watch the Onedin Line! Never been in the pub though!

does anyone have any ols photos of The Rising Sun at the bottom of Jenkin Road at brightside I have recently bought it and I am trying to find some history Or was you a regular there and can share some old memories
went in on a regular basis in the eighties when Sid and Mary had it ,they had the Foundry down attercliffe for years and were a very nice couple who always made anybody welcome... they took over the sun when slum clearance down "the cliffe" claimed the Foundry and many other good Hostilries:(

Hi I'm trying to find a long lost friend called Martin grant his mum and dad were called sid and Mary who used to run the rising sun. Could anyone help me please

Hello risingsun,

I was hoping to find out if you received any photos or memories of your pub, as it has been many years since your post.

I believe my family opened the pub in the early 1900's. I am trying to find as much information as I can about the pub and my family. I am happy to share any information I can with you.

Kind regards

Hi Simmonds - welcome to the Forum! :)

The Rising Sun was on the corner of Jenkin Road and Lincoln Street - it is shown as "B H" (Beer House) on this map. There is a photo of the Rising Sun on the picturesheffield.com site - here is a link. In the 1891 and 1901 census returns the licensee was given as Joseph Otter. The 1905 directory (compiled in mid-1904) shows the licensee as Joseph Davey, and by 1910 William Simmonds was in charge.

Edited by hillsbro

Thank you for those details hillsbro. William Simmonds was my great grandfather. I am having trouble finding too much out about him, so if anyone has any further information, it would ve greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

I also found William Simmonds difficult to track down in BMD records but I did find him at the Rising Sun in the 1911 census return - here is a scan in case you don't have this.

Thank you for those details hillsbro. William Simmonds was my great grandfather. I am having trouble finding too much out about him, so if anyone has any further information, it would ve greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

FreeBMD

Marriages Sep 1904 (>99%)

Kelly Edith Sheffield 9c 896

Simmons William Sheffield 9c 896