Query About No1 Oriental Buffet.

Having been to this places a few times I have often wondered what is the situation with the "other side" of the restaurant.

When you walk in you go to the large dining room that is in front of you (the one with the decorative ceiling)

If you look left near the stairs to the toilets is another area that appears to be only for Chinese people, why is this and whats the difference.

I have noticed that as well but could not figure it out.

Let me know if you come across with any thinh

No, it's not only for Chinese people, it's the "hotpot" section.

You pay something like 12 or 13 quid, and you get a pan of soup-type stuff, which simmers on a flame.

You have a chiller cabinet from which you choose a selection of meat, seafood or veg, which you then take back to your table, and cook in the hotpot pan, to your taste.

So you have to pay more to cook the food yourself?! Backwards!

So you have to pay more to cook the food yourself?! Backwards!

Yes, it is utterly backwards, but, it's one of the latest food-fads that's been imported, so therefore, (if you think logically about fads) it will be dearer.

I'm a fan of those oriental type places where the food is cooked in front of you, and you sit at a bar type thing surrounding the chef... not that i know one of these in Sheffield. I know one in Cyprus, but thats hardly convenient.

But yes Plain Talker, you are quite correct!

Lions Lair, there is a place in Sheffield that does that style of food. Wasabisabi does. It's called Teppanyaki.

The hotpot is more expensive because you consume more premium ingredients, there are no fillers or extenders. You just get bite size portions of meat or vegetable. There is a large amount of prep that goes into that.

Also there is Jabu that does hotpot on London road.

Last time i ate in No'1 the food was awful, and i ended up being sick. :gag:

you get what you pay for though.

Correct the section on the left is for Chinese Fondue (hotpot).

Its for everyone.

You pay more but you can go both sides for food.

Its just a popular cusine in the east. Westerners like to be served as they have to pay.

Currently only 1 Chinese Fondue restaurant Jabu on London Road and a couple that serve it as well and they are also on Londo Road.

Correct the section on the left is for Chinese Fondue (hotpot).

Its for everyone.

You pay more but you can go both sides for food.

Its just a popular cusine in the east. Westerners like to be served as they have to pay.

Currently only 1 Chinese Fondue restaurant Jabu on London Road and a couple that serve it as well and they are also on Londo Road.

Loads in Malaysia. Cheap and very nice.

I think it's mostly because it's a eastern fad atm n the food taste better than the buffet :P