The blues music..

Give a listen to John Mayall and Captain Beefheart. Early Canned Heat are a treat too.

What a great help you lot are! :thumbsup:

Cols - A very helpful and informative post, thanks. I'll be sure to check out pre '69 Fleetwood Mac (as it happens, the only few Fleetwood Mac songs I know are Peter Green era ones anyway). I'll also give the Rhythm and Blues show on Radio 2 a whirl.

I just listened to a few Robert Johnson songs on Spotify and it's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. Plus it's given me a a list of similar artists, so I can explore those too.

Thank you everyone - I'll have a search of all the musicians mentioned.

If you like Robert Johnson then you'll also like Keb' Mo- he records in a much simpler way than most of the 'big' artists' and when you see him live at festivals it's often just him and his guitar, rather than a big outfit (which is one of the reasons that I like him so much).

I say you check out some Stevie Ray Vaughan or some Ry Cooder.

Hells yeah:)

If you like Robert Johnson then you'll also like Keb' Mo- he records in a much simpler way than most of the 'big' artists' and when you see him live at festivals it's often just him and his guitar, rather than a big outfit (which is one of the reasons that I like him so much).

I say you check out some Stevie Ray Vaughan or some Ry Cooder.

Hells yeah:)

Thanks to you both for the recommendations!

Most of my favourites have already been mentioned-Robert Johnson,Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee,Taj Mahall,John Mayall,Stevie Ray Vaughan et al.

Try also George Thoroughgood,Chicken Shack and Rory Gallagher.Dr Feelgood,especially Lee Brilleux solo work(tribute to Howlin' Wolf) are also excellent.

Having read Cols' informative post, I might have to seek out Pinetop Perkins.

Not for his music; I just dig his name!!

Try this one then. Sister Rosetta Tharpe - crazy name, crazy chick (actually a middle aged gospel blues singer playing a mean Gibson SG) Stick with it for the guitar solo after 1:40 - could be Hendrix's mum ! :)

I have the Robert Johnson cd and Clapton's version - stupendous!

Try this one then. Sister Rosetta Tharpe - crazy name, crazy chick (actually a middle aged gospel blues singer playing a mean Gibson SG) Stick with it for the guitar solo after 1:40 - could be Hendrix's mum ! :)

Thanks for the pointer, That was great. What a woman.

I second a vote for Rosetta Tharpe - overlooked for far too long (I wonder why?) Try Memphis Minnie too...

i like a nice bit of blues now and again looks like peeps have the names well covered already tho :(

Difficult to add to the names that have already been posted. If you are interested in the genuine stuff, get hold of some Robert Johnson, Son House, Little Walter, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Otis Rush - all seminal performers.

Frank White was never a blues musician, more Rhythm and Blues (as it used to be). Absolutely brilliant at what he did, though. Has he really retired? That's bad news... Somebody better stick a guitar in his hand and have a few sharp words with him...