FREE arts activities for Adults in Hillsborough

Arts Bytes is an opportunity for adults to learn new art techniques and meet people!

This winter why not come join our arts and crafts activities; these sessions are FREE, open to all adults and includes a trip to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. This is an opportunity to learn new art techniques from mosaic to print making, meet new people and explore the sculpture park through photography and sketching.

We will also be creating an online blog and learning resources so others can learn all the art techniques being taught throughout the project.

If you would like to get involved either just turn up or contact Luisa on 01142686813 or [email protected]

Hillsborough Trinity Methodist Church, Middlewood Road Every Monday 10-12.30pm Nov 23rd, 30th, Dec 7th, 14th, Jan 11th, 18th, 25th, Feb 1st, 8th The activities are free and all materials will be provided!

Just come along at the stated day and time above and get involved. You don’t have to come every week and no experience in art or IT is necessary.

What ages are allowed to come? Why do you have age restrictions?

Not sure, just sharing information if you have any questions contact Luisa on 01142686813 or [email protected] who are organising the activities.

Hi there,

I'm Emma and I'm a volunteer supporting the artist at the Art Bytes sessions.

They are open to adults 19+ and are very informal and friendly. You don't need any art experience or any great confidence in art.

You can just turn up, or drop in for part of the session if you can't make the whole session. The classes are running on 9 mondays, but you don't have to come to all of them.

Our first session this morning was a great success, we experimented with making handmade paper.

Other topics we hope to touch on in the sessions are basic drawing skills/an intro to drawing and drawing materials, origami and painting. Come along and have a say in what you would like to learn! The emphasis is on having fun and trying new things, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' and we want the sessions to be as relaxed and enjoyable as possible.

Sessions are Monday 30th Nov, Monday 7th December, Monday 14th December, Monday 11th January, Monday 18th January, Monday 25th January, Monday February 1st, Monday February 8th. They run from 10am-12.30am.

Sessions take place at Hillsborough Trinity Methodist Chuch, Middlewood Road, Hillsborough, opposite Hillsborough Park. Church is close to Leppings Lane tram stop, and short walk from Hillsborough town centre.

If you have any queries you can ring Luisa on 0114 268813

Many thanks, and hope to see you there!

Emma

Edited by llamallama

Hi

Thanks for the interest. The classes are aimed at people over the age of 19, this is because of the funding we have received for the project. It is being funded by Learning Revolution, who support informal adult education.

The sessions are free and a great opportunity to meet new people and try new things!

Please get in touch with any questions

sounds brilliant, shame that i bloody well work during the day! :(

any plans for any clubs etc, that are available for people who arent available during the day? i'm a keen artist, and a new hillsborough resident.

Hi Moke,

Welcome to Hillsborough! I'm afraid that as far as I know there isn't anything planned for the evenings, however if there are quite a few people in Hillsborough who would like to have some kind of art class in the evening then maybe something could be organised in future. I'm not sure if there is anything like that in Hillsborough already.

You might find it useful to visit the Cupola Gallery on Middlewood Road, they may know of some art classes. I know Craftastic (a craft shop in Hillsborough, 1 Dixon Road, S6 4FY) do some craft classes, but I think these are also during the day).

Sorry to not be more helpful!

Emma

Hillsborough College have a range of different art courses in the evening that may be of interest to you.

Hi Moke,

Welcome to Hillsborough! I'm afraid that as far as I know there isn't anything planned for the evenings, however if there are quite a few people in Hillsborough who would like to have some kind of art class in the evening then maybe something could be organised in future. I'm not sure if there is anything like that in Hillsborough already.

You might find it useful to visit the Cupola Gallery on Middlewood Road, they may know of some art classes. I know Craftastic (a craft shop in Hillsborough, 1 Dixon Road, S6 4FY) do some craft classes, but I think these are also during the day).

Sorry to not be more helpful!

Emma

thanks for the welcome! i live virtually opposite cupola, so that's well worth a try.

my slight frustration was more to do with the fact that 90% of community orientated events and classes seem to happen during the day, which slices out such a huge % of participants - it's not a criticism, just a personal annoyance - I'd love to to be more involved in my new area, meet people and get a kick start to my new life up here! still, it's great to know that stuff like this goes on, even if i can't get any benefit from it!

thanks to six45ive for the suggestion re: the college. will have a butchers. :)

Activities for the next four weeks include watercolour painting and photography.

Hi

Do you have creche facilitys?

If so, I may be interested. If you have somewhere I can drop my dog off (the creche) then I'd be OK.

Hi,

what's the parking like in the vicinity?