Road humps

As a driver in this city, I am sick to death of having to drive over these stupid hump's in the road, what are they trying to do to us? smash our suspension's?

What good are they? some driver's still drive as fast even now the hump's have been put there, the hump's are dangerous they will "cause" accident's. Who will pay for the damage to our car's? because bumping over them even slowly has got to cause crack's in the superstructure.

I have had to change our route a lot of times over the last few month's, having to make sometimes a long detour, why should I have to do this because some misguided transport official has decided to put hump's down to stop these young Idiot's from going too fast.

Hitting them can cause a driver to lose control of the steering, who would get the blame if this happened? What would the police say to the driver, that it was his fault? And what about the person who was responsible for putting them down?

Who decides these thing's? why dont they ask the driver's who use the road's of Sheffield before acting on their own inititiative! Let us all protest!!! and get these monstrosities removed once and for all. :evil::evil::evil: Please vote Yes or No. Hal, Evans.

I agree Halevan - somthing must be done!

A Google search found these interesting snippits:

London Ambulance Service Chairman Blames Speed Bumps for Unnecessary Deaths. Sigurd Reinton, Chairman of LAS was reported as saying to the Evening Standard that measures such as road humps are actually costing more lives than they save, due to their impact on slowing ambulance services. Up to 800 victims of cardiac arrest die in London for every minute of delay, and there are likely to be more additional deaths caused from delays than are saved by traffic calming.

Every speed hump delays ambulances by up to 10 seconds

Research carried out in Austria on a mile long stretch of road with six humps and a 40kph speed limit showed that cars negotiating the humps emmitted 10 times more nitrogen oxide, 3 times more poisonous carbon monoxide, and 25% more carbon dioxide, than vehicles maintaining a constant speed. Fuel consumption rose from 7.9 litres to nearly 10 litres per 100 km. The report concluded: "A regular traffic flow would therefore always be more environmentally friendly".

Read this article on the SheffieldToday website http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewArticle.aspx?SectionID=58&ArticleID=275999.

I'm surprised it's took so long for people to complain, the roads in Sheffield are a disgrace and yet the council can afford to mutilate the streets with these 'humps' - when they are in more need of repair !

Funny enough I have seen a sign on Elm Lane near Sheffield Lane Top that states there is going to be changed to highway, I been trying to think what this could be, perhaps more speed bumps? a crossing or perhaps something for the firestation?

There is also a road near the Rizt Bingo hall that used to have bumps on and the got rid of them, not been on the road for a while, just trying to think if they have wasted money putting the humps back or not...

Lol Halevan you beat me to it! I was just going to start a post complaining about the humps on Stradbroke road!!! They're a nightmare, they really are!!! Whenever we go over the humps, my Dad complains bitterly because of the scrape of his exhaust pipe on the silly square hump! He was telling me about his mate who went over a hump (rather slowly I might add) and it ripped his exhaust pipe off. He complained bitterly to the council, but it fell on deaf ears, as can be expected.

I know there are a number of types of speed bumps to slow drivers down, but the square things in the middle of the road are as good as! They're bad for the car and the "boy racers" go over 'em even faster because it gives them a buzz & its not as if they care about their vehicle either! If we have to have them, why can't we have the long ones that stretch over both lanes, and cause no threat to the vehicles that pass over them?

I think if they slow traffic down, they're a good thing. I'm sure most vehicles can negotiate them safely, at the right speed.

Yes most drivers can do, but it still doesn't take away the damage thats done to our cars by going over these blasted things!

I hate to say it, but cameras are the only option for reducing speed without damaging cars. I don't agree with cameras on open roads where they have reduced the speed from, say, 60mph to 40.

But, I would much prefer a camera than humps damaging my car, or ridiculous chicanes narrowing the road and forcing you to give way.

Surely something like this is not legal because it is restricting an otherwise perfect road for no good reason. Stradbroke Road is a typical example.

The newer style of cameras, such as those on the Stocksbridge Bypass, are excellent speed deterrents. They are supposed to catch you before you get there, although I don't see how as there is no flash and no markings on the road to indicate your speed.

Does anyone know how to try to claim compensation for the damage done by these stupid things? I now have suspension problems again. It happens about every 18 months. I cannot avoid the speed bumps because I work all over Sheffield and they are everywhere.

I don't believe they are remotely effective as people's attention is taken over by first of all cursing and ranting about them, then tying to get over them or get the wheels just right so they don't bump you as much. There is evidence also that people speed up in between them and when they are through them out of frustration.

I did on a road that ran beside the airport. The hump ripped off my fuel line, petrol was leaking all over the road. I went to the police building for some assistance but they refused to help, but kindly warned the police helicopter which promptly flew off.

I had to walk all the way to the airport, who kindly rang the fire brigade which sealed the ruptured line and washed the petrol away.

After I submitted a claim to the council, they just ignored it, but smoothed off the ramps so they weren't as steep and then put a 'private road' notice at the start of the road.

Originally posted by "alchresearch"

After I submitted a claim to the council, they just ignored it, but smoothed off the ramps so they weren't as steep and then put a 'private road' notice at the start of the road.

You should have pursued it, as them doing that was proof that they accepted responsibility.