Wanting to join the Police - any advice?

Hi,

I am currently working as a Police Special (volunteer) for Derbyshire Police. I have heard off various people that SY Police are currently recruiting.

Now, whenever I ring up they just say they are recruiting next year at the earliest.

I am just wondering if anyone has any information regarding joining the regular Police in South Yorkshire and how I could go about joining ASAP!

Thanks a lot, Phil.

South Yorkshire Police have jut had a round of recruitment, you had to ring up to book a place on a presentation at Snig Hill to get an application form but the dates for them were back in June. The people that have got through in this round have had their interviews and those who have past that have just had their medicals-they still haven't had any fitness tests and have been told to anticipate that it will be April 2010 before the very first among them get placed as student officers. The rest of them who have passed everything will form a bank of officers and will fill up places that become vacant over the next year. It's only when this bank of officers get low that the will be another round of recruitment. I've heard Derbyshire will be opening up their recruitment again before South Yorks. You need to keep checking policecouldyou.co.uk for which forces are recruiting and it provides details of how each particualr force wants you to apply- some just give out applications others like South Yorks only hand out a limited number of application forms on a first come first served basis durin the course of recruitment presentations.

Edited by Charlottef24

Hey, I might be stupid in asking this but, why don't they just have the PCSOs made into Police?

Like I don't see the point in having another force that has less power etc why not just make them all police?

They won't do that because PCSO's carry out far different duties to PC's. They were introduced as a government scheme to increase uniforms on the streets - and are paid accordingly. They are limited in what they can do, have limited powers, and don't work beyond 10 or 11pm. Some may not wish to be PC's at all, although no doubt there are some who believe they could make the jump between roles. It will never happen.

im 18 in couple of weeks and im lookng to join the police i want to get into traffic police eventually but was just wundering if any1 can give me any advice which is the best way to get into the police or ow to get into the police cheers oli x

Oli

I would seriously consider looking at the Special Constabulary as it will give you a valuable insight into the job that need's to be done. I can promise you that the life experience generated from this will empower you to make an informed decision on what is a very important and challenging commitment. I know of SPC's who've been in the job for years and are highly respected by their regular and PCSO colleague's alike. One thing you must prepare yourself for is a long wait as the recruitment process is anything but quick!.....................It can take almost as long for the Special Constabulary as standards are high. :thumbsup:

Edited by bulldog D

I have been retired from the police force for 5 years but for the last 8 years I was with them I was a tutor training new recruits.It was deemed at the time that people only 18 years old had no experience in life let alone expecting to endure what a police officer has to do every day.The tutor unit I worked with has been disbanded because SYP are not setting on new recruits at this time which like everything else is all down to money.

Good luck to you in the future,Mick

I have been retired from the police force for 5 years but for the last 8 years I was with them I was a tutor training new recruits.It was deemed at the time that people only 18 years old had no experience in life let alone expecting to endure what a police officer has to do every day.The tutor unit I worked with has been disbanded because SYP are not setting on new recruits at this time which like everything else is all down to money.

Good luck to you in the future,Mick

hi Mick

you wasnt based at ecclesfield by any chance?

im 18 in couple of weeks and im lookng to join the police i want to get into traffic police eventually but was just wundering if any1 can give me any advice which is the best way to get into the police or ow to get into the police cheers oli x

:loopy: DON'T LOL

went to PC Roach's leaving doo on Friday, he ended his time in licensing, good to be amongst so many ex-cops, grrrrrr. My time with the feds is also over, yippeeeeee!!!

If you really want good advice just follow your heart and remember in the force you have no mates, seriously, none at all, they are all too busy covering their own backs and lets face it their backs take a lot of covering due to the fact that they keep dishing out so much S.H.I.T

there is a lot of incorrect advice on the early part of the thread.

firstly, there is no quick route into the Police Force. no matter whether you are a special first or a PCSO there is no quick transfer route.

the only thing being a special or a PCSO will help with is having some experience of how the police work and some of the jobs you are likely to come into contact with.

so as an insight its a good way to go.

there is now no discrimination as to age. everything is screened over and over and while its important to get the application form technique, recruiting cannot say 'you need life experience' like they used to do.

if you pass all of their tests, ie application, assessment centre, fitness and medical, and manage to get through vetting, you are 'in' no matter what age you are.

that being said, it is a long wait from receiving your application form to getting a starting date, approx 18 months in most cases.

a lot of it is biding your time until the website is updated to say they are accepting new applicants.

if you are 18 then why not do a bit of voluntary work with the specials and have a full time job as well until the time comes that you can apply.

but there is no longer a quick and easy route and you are not considered any better for having a police background.