Sign in to follow this  

Arbourthorne Pond, The Cafe and Rowing Boats

message moved

Edited by Arch Stanton
old post

There used to be a building on site, but I've never heard of it being used as a cafe, thought it was just a container unit. Nor have any of the old fishermen on site ever mentioned rowing on the pond - apart from when we get out there to clean it up.

Are you thinking of what is now called Norfolk Heritage Park?

It would have been just a wee way downhill from the Arbourthorne

It was (and maybe still is for all I know) owned by the Duke of Norfolk (hence the name) and looks like a country park

message moved

Edited by Arch Stanton
old post

Only 20 years ago? I would have thought it was more. Back in the 70's, most Sheffield Parks were brimming with activities - outdoor paddling pools, boating lakes et al.

It was in the Thatcher era of the 80's when they became abandoned and closed.

More than 50 years ago it was a fishing Pond with a libary just inside the grounds, off Eastern Ave. It had lots of fish and ducks but no boats.

Behind the Pond was a field leading to a Pub which stood on it's own and led to a ring of shops which included Shentalls and Floods. and at the end of the field on Eastern Ave was the Carlton Picture House. The field went up to East Bank Rd on the other side

There was a dip in the field which was made by an unexploded bomb during the war, We were all evacuated to Arbouthorne Central School until they sorted it out

We used to wheel my brother in his pram up and down the dip. Unfortunately one the wheels of the pram was missing a split pin and used to come off every so often and it was my job to find a clean matchstick to replace it. perhaps we were short of things like split pins.

I must be talking the mid 40's.

Originally posted by hazel

More than 50 years ago it was a fishing Pond with a libary just inside the grounds, off Eastern Ave. It had lots of fish and ducks but no boats.

Behind the Pond was a field leading to a Pub which stood on it's own and led to a ring of shops which included Shentalls and Floods. and at the end of the field on Eastern Ave was the Carlton Picture House. The field went up to East Bank Rd on the other side

There was a dip in the field which was made by an unexploded bomb during the war, We were all evacuated to Arbouthorne Central School until they sorted it out

We used to wheel my brother in his pram up and down the dip. Unfortunately one the wheels of the pram was missing a split pin and used to come off every so often and it was my job to find a clean matchstick to replace it. perhaps we were short of things like split pins.

I must be talking the mid 40's.

would the pub you mention be the arbourthorne hotel ?

Yes,

I think it was, I'd forgotten the name .

We used to go to the back of the pub for the old lady who lived next door to us, to buy her some beer, still pushing the pram.

hazel

I used to Fish/swim and dive from the island on Arbourthorne pond at least 22 years ago. The only boats i've ever seen were when we all clubbed together to clean the pond out every year.

Swimming in Arbourthorne pond and i'm still alive! :shocked:

Arbourthorne Pond is now having a lot of money invested in it. I helped with a spring clean of the grounds earlier this year, and then arranged for Meg Munn MP and the Lord Mayor to attend an official open day in May. There is a dedicated group of local people who spend a lot of their free time in keeping the pond free of weeds, planting bulbs and flowers, etc. There is now a new path around the pond, and there plans afoot to undertake further improvements. I am currently arranging a visit by Cllrs Jan Wilson & Steve Jones, and Sir Bob Kerslake, to view the improvements to the pond and meet the local activists.

The pond was beautiful in my day, full of fish which a neighbour used to catch regularly and put in his bath. I suppose one up on "come and see my etchings "

Our garden which backed on to the pond was visited by frogs and toads and the field beyond was dotted with wild flowers.

I still use the field when I want to get away from everything, taught to picture a safe place in my mind to meditate, I go back to Arbourthorne field with the moon pennies swaying in the breeze almost as high as my knees.

So it would be nice Rob that it will be restored to its former glory.

hazel

Originally posted by redrobbo

. There is a dedicated group of local people who spend a lot of their free time in keeping the pond free of weeds, planting bulbs and flowers, etc. There is now a new path around the pond, and there plans afoot to undertake further improvements. I am currently arranging a visit by Cllrs Jan Wilson & Steve Jones, and Sir Bob Kerslake, to view the improvements to the pond and meet the local activists.

That would be my neighbour and her family, and the fishing club they have set up on there.

They get help from the wildlife trust folks and other locals too.....pity most of the lowlife locals just wait for them to leave and then go and throw empty beer cans in it!

There are often kids/adults fishing....the platforms on the banks have helped.

The fishing club now has a portacabin type thing too:thumbsup:

Good work Ann and co!