Anyone flown with Ryanair? - opinions please!

Hi

I've seen how much cheaper Ryanair are but have heard rumours that they are even more uncomfortable, unreliable than normal airlines. As we're flying to the Canaries (over 4 hours), I'd rather pay a bit more if this is the case. Any opinions?

Thanks.

I'd always pay a bit more as you get what you pay for. Ryanair to Stockholm usually entails an hour and a half coach journey into the city.

Do your research properly.

Add in any costs for baggage, check-in, card-payment (get a Halifax card with Visa Electron) etc.

Compare your travel/parking costs to and from airports at both ends.

Once you've done all that, the comfort of the plane is about the same as any other.

You may not get an assigned seat, you will pay for any snacks on-board and they may not fly you straight back if they cancel.

Even after all that we use them often, as it it wonderful to get to France/Germany for £5 each way!

I see East Midlands-Gran Canaria are at £15 plus bags & card fees (no check-in fee or taxes)

Edited by cgksheff

Rubbish.They make you obtain an e-boarding pass prior to travel and when you arrive at the airport you still have to queue.Pointless but they tell you you cannot board efficiently without your printed boarding pass absolute garbage.They also move gates without a member of their staff informing people personally.

I waited in a queue to check-in for almost 3 hours as the check in staff went off sick and they couldn't get a replacement quick enough.

Easyjet everytime for me

went to dublin with rynair wasent any problems just read all info inc small print prior to booking and watch out for babage limit they very keen

Edited by Teabag

Gone on ryanair loads of times but as stated earlier check the total cost. There is no difference on the plane as other budget airlines. Seats are not assigned but you can pay extra to get on first if you are that bothered but I have always got seats with who I am with without paying this. It really depends if you prefer to sit somewhere specific. If you want to spend an extra £200 quid on other airlines its really up to the individual but I would rather spend this at my destination.

Rubbish.They make you obtain an e-boarding pass prior to travel and when you arrive at the airport you still have to queue.Pointless but they tell you you cannot board efficiently without your printed boarding pass absolute garbage.They also move gates without a member of their staff informing people personally.

I waited in a queue to check-in for almost 3 hours as the check in staff went off sick and they couldn't get a replacement quick enough.

Easyjet everytime for me

But why did you have to check in surely the pass means you go straight to passport control and then on to the gate. I do this everytime (no queue to check in) but I only have hand luggage. Are you saying you were in a queue for 3 hours even though check in opens two hours before departure (your plane must have been very late) to drop off a bag. Are you saying that if I was a customer advisor I should search the airport and tell every passenger that the gate had changed (it goes on the screen and on the tannoy). You may have had a bad experience but I think this could happen with any airline including easyjet.

We flew Ryanair to France with two boys. It was cheap but definitely no frills. You absolutely get what you pay for, so you need to decide what you are prepared to pay for. At least Ryanair gives you that choice. We prepared ourselves for things not to run as smoothly as usual and we took snacks with us. We were happy to tolerate lower levels of service for the lower price, because the journey was a short one and our boys are old enough to cope with things not going smoothly. As it turned out it all went well. You need to pack carefully and weigh your luggage. Yes, they really do mean only 1 piece of inboard luggage and yes, a handbag/carrier bag does count as a piece of luggage. Agree with previous post that you must do your research so that you know all the costs involved.

W

Never had as problem with them except what a few others have said. Long transfers to your 'destination' city (Frankfurt Hahn is nearer to Luxembourg than Frankfurt) and sometimes when you've factored in extra charges and transfers, you find you could have flown a national airline for similar costs.

Yellow cabin interiors not good for a hungover morning flight and seats made out of that horrible vinyl that bus seats used to be, but for most sub 2 hour flights, I find them adequate. Also, the aircraft all seem fairly new (all the ones i've been on anyway)

I'd always pay a bit more as you get what you pay for. Ryanair to Stockholm usually entails an hour and a half coach journey into the city.

Echoing this.

I have gone to Stockholm twice on Ryanair, the airport you arrive at is around an hours coach journey. Saying that the coach journey wasn't much, and it seems that there always was enough coaches to carry everyone, not forgetting it was reasonably cheap for a return. Around five pounds.

Secondly the planes themselves, to be honest I had no complaints I had enough leg room and I am just a tad shy over six foot. They journey was a lot more comfortable than my previous trips to Kenya on British Airways (i think), and to Oslo (I forgot the carrier sorry, pretty sure it wasn't Ryanair).

All in all I have had no real complaints, tickets are cheap, the flight well... it's pretty much a coach journey with wings, nothing fancy.

Always had a nice journey with Ryanair. The planes are well kept and have always always taken off and landed on or ahead of time without fuss.

I have had more leg room and mod cons on all Ryanair flights than I did flying with American Airlines. Their transatlantic planes were beyond retirement age.

With Ryanair you do need to know how to play the website to get the best price and be prepared to travel without insane amounts of luggage, but if you can do that they are the cheapest around and generally not a bad experience.