"Walks backwards and spits" - has anyone ever heard this phrase?

Has anyone ever heard of the phrase "Walks Backwards and Spits a lot", it has been used in my office recently and only 2 people have ever heard of it!!!!

Any explanations would be grateful!!!! :huh::huh::help::help:

Thanks

Has anyone ever heard of the phrase "Walks Backwards and Spits a lot", it has been used in my office recently and only 2 people have ever heard of it!!!!

Thanks

I've heard it before, along with "tha knows who I mean, tall chap, walks on his feet a lot". Or "him with the clay cap and corduroy pipe"

A good few years ago though. :hihi:

Its a while since I've heard that one, possibly because I no longer live in Sheffield. Cant offer an explanation though, sorry.

Thanks

This phrase of course is from the Latin "Walkius baccas spittanius"

It was from an era when many indoor public places had spitoons and people chewed tobacco, commonly known as "bacci". The Romans would have a spitoon and chew their bacci. They used to have competitions to see who could spit in the spitoon from the farest away. They would all start from the same distance away and spit. The ones who missed would drop out at that distance, then the remainder would "WALK BACK" to a point farer away.

Eventually they would finish up with a winner . He was called the "Victor Loo Spitticus".

Hope that helps!

This phrase of course is from the Latin "Walkius baccas spittanius"

It was from an era when many indoor public places had spitoons and people chewed tobacco, commonly known as "bacci". The Romans would have a spitoon and chew their bacci. They used to have competitions to see who could spit in the spitoon from the farest away. They would all start from the same distance away and spit. The ones who missed would drop out at that distance, then the remainder would "WALK BACK" to a point farer away.

Eventually they would finish up with a winner . He was called the "Victor Loo Spitticus".

Hope that helps!

classic.....:)

brilliant explanation ! ! !..."Deo aduvante labor proficit"

Thanks

Dont know where it comes from but we used to say this this at work when you were trying to describe someone as in "You know who I mean, that red haired lad in the drawing office, nice denims, blue jumper walks bakkards an spits alot":hihi:

Thanks

"Walks backwards & spits a lot, hes got a walking stick with a wheel on the end" another one is " where were you going when I saw you yesterday? when i caught up whith you, youd gone"

Walk backwards has been on the go for years I remember it back in the fifties.

Are yer talkin' abaht 'im wi' the straight, white hair an' the black, curly teeth?

Are yer talkin' abaht 'im wi' the straight, white hair an' the black, curly teeth?

Aye,he had a three speed walking stick as well.

i typed it into google and got nothing, therefore it can't be a real saying.

I've heard this saying many times in the past for not for years. I think it would be in the seventies when I heard it.