Post your Leadmill memories!!

Sunday lunchtime jazz in the 80s

I used to go out with a girl whos father was a drummer and often played at the Leadmill Sunday lunches in the early 80s. He was rather good; I think that he also accompanied Dave Berry in the early 70s.

Other than that, I've been to loads of gigs at the Leadmill in the early 80s - Crass, the Last Poets, Nico, Armoury Show supported by BAD; I've some black & whites of Pete Shelley; also remember the Saturday night discos - "How Soon Is Now" - "Respect Yourself" - Divines' "Native Love" - etc etc etc

Think we were there on the first night, either Clock DVA/ I'm so Hollow or Caberet Voltaire or a mixture of these were performing, it was very sparcly populated and was closed down soon afterwards, we also saw the Dead Kennedys, but have never been since it re-opened. Really sorry to have missed joe Strummers last gig.

Hi Folks,

My latest blog. Cabaret Voltaire at The Leadmill in July 1980.

http://www.mylifeinthemoshofghosts.com/2017/02/25/cabaret-voltaire-mark-my-words-the-leadmill-sheffield-saturday-5th-july-1980/

Enjoy.

Cheers

Dodger

Brilliant, thanks for refreshing my memory, I was definitely at this gig as I remember because Markmywordz was a school associate.

Hello all,

My name Ben stack and I'm looking for any history or stories on my parents who worked at the leadmill in the early 80s they were Martin and Joan stack and i can remember walking round the leadmill when i was tiny with my toys as my dad would bottle up.

Sure many of my mum's family worked there on and off also they were very good friends with Wendy and Alan as well as mick O'Neil.

Any details would be fantastic thank you.

Hey, slightly off piste here but I did a few jobs there as a contractor Had to ask a few times for my money to be told that" the matter was in hand," I asked who's hand was it in and when would it be in mine? I received my money and didn't work there again.

4X2

On 06/04/2007 at 12:35, EdnaKrabappe said:

So many memories from there. :) I still go and I've been going since I was 13! (23 years now:o )

I used to have a 3D paper cut out leadmill with cut out barstaff that you could move along the bar.

I miss the cafe with its cheese and chips!

I wish the Beatclub would come back and the nights would be more defined than they are now.

Teen memories

Seeing Hue and Cry and them blowing the sound system and not getting going until nearly 11.

Seeing The Housemartins with my teachers!

Seeing Tanita Tikarum and her going on about Basingstoke.

Seeing Fairground Attraction and thinking wow I must come and see these again.

The toilets when they were downstairs and had all graffiti on the wall

I was in Bolsterstone Choir and we used to sing there every Xmas.