Cornish/Mantlepiece

It comes from Cornish frill, the tasselled fabric cloth that ran along the mantle piece.  They often matched the antimacassars on the back of the chairs and settee. I'd insert an image but it's not letting me. 😕 

1 hour ago, Cuisle said:

It comes from Cornish frill, the tasselled fabric cloth that ran along the mantle piece.  They often matched the antimacassars on the back of the chairs and settee. I'd insert an image but it's not letting me. 😕 

I think it’s called a cornish frill because it sits on and overhangs the cornish (cornice).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?

1 hour ago, Jim Hardie said:

I think it’s called a cornish frill because it sits on and overhangs the cornish (cornice).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?

The chicken from across the road.

On 12/11/2009 at 18:20, arrodbo said:

Is it a Sheffield saying to call the ledge on a Mantlepiece "CORNISH" and where does it originate from please?

Cornwall as in Cornish people come from Cornwall

On 13/11/2009 at 11:46, hillsbro said:

It isn't only Lancastrians - Barnsleyites call it a ginnel. Here's my post from another thread:

Sheffield.... -... jennel

Barnsley.... -... ginnel

Leicester... -... snicket

Sussex...... -... twitten

North Lincs..-... tenfoot (except Grimsby, where they call it an eightfot - funny lot in Grimsby)..:rolleyes:

there used to be a path from the top of Spring Ln. to the bottom of Arbourthorne Rd, that used to be called an eightfoot by the locals when i was a kid.

Eight foot is still used to mean a footpath, in fact there is a pub on Chaucer Road called the "Eight Foot Way".

When I was young 50s and 60s. I lived in Deerlands Ave. At the back of our house ( now demolished) was what we called back fields.. There were pathways from Deerlands over to  Holgate Road we always called them eightfot. Mantlepiece was cornish