6th Form Schools - Advice Please..

My daughter is in y11 at the moment and we're looking at 6th form schooling for her next year.

We've been to All Saints and Notre Dam so far - both seem very nice, but anyone have experience of them either good or bad?

She's looking at doing English Language, History Psychology and one other.....

My Eldest son is at Aston in the 6th form and they are very good, its a very strict school too as far as I can make out

High storrs school.

I went there and they had the friendliest teachers and theres always something fun going on at high storrs.

They also do all the subjects you are interested in.

I think its something like a 70% pass rate and a 68% A-B?

I THINK!

good luck

Try Aston ,they are strict but a very good six form,you wont be disappointed :)

To be honest I think 6th forms across Sheffield are all generally quite good - I've heard wonderful reports about Norton College too.

I think the main thing would be for your daughter to decide where she would be the happiest studying. Ease of getting there has to be an issue considered.

ALSO - TOP TIP! Please make sure that there will be no clashes! I was ok for my first year. Because I did an unusual subject combination, I had to go to 2 different 6th forms. The second year, one of the 6th forms changed the slot on the timetable (as is often custom) and the other didn't - so I ended up travelling across the city to get half an hours teaching here and there - it was an absolute nightmare, and in the end I resitted. Please make sure they don't do this to your daughter.

Try Aston ,they are strict but a very good six form,you wont be disappointed :)

Yep Aston.

We went to the open evening on Tuesday,great school.

My Eldest son is at Aston in the 6th form and they are very good, its a very strict school too as far as I can make out

As does my youngest daughter :)

My cousins youngest has just started at Notre Dam after being at Bradfield and is really impressed. He has to travel from Stannington every day but he says its worth it. He's taking PE, Psychology, Geography and 1 other.

Alot of his (in his words) cleverer mates didn't get places because they wanted to do the more conventional subjects such as Maths and the sciences and these fill up very quickly.

I recommend Notre dame sixth form, had a great time there. Really nice people, down to earth and will help you child fit in and feel welcome which is paramount to her doing well.

I would avoid Tapton though, as schools go they were the only one who turned me down to study there. Seemed quite arrogant and spurn students who didn't go to the lower school. At one point a few years ago they wanted to break away from the regualr sixth forms and up their entry grades to 5 B's. I think they have ideas above their station a little bit.

Hi Matthew

I realise you speak as you find but I have to say I had an absolutely fantastic experience at Tapton 6 Form (Coming from outside the lower school) and would recommend it to anyone who is fortunate enough to get a place there. It's a first class from the students to the school generally to the teachers. I don't like naming names but all seven of my teachers were absolutely wonderful and made me achieve brilliant A Level Results coming from very very modest GCSE's.

I would urge anyone not to be put off by thinking you're not good enough to go there, if you are willing to put in the effort yourself the resources at the school mean you'll achieve the best of your ability which i think to almost all will be A's & B's at A Level.

If they are indeed putting the entry grades up this would be a real shame as there wouldn't be success stories such as myself.

I believe the current head of 6 form is one of my old teachers, I don't wish to name them but suffice to say he was first class to me personally, could have a laugh and was just enjoyable company in class.

The only possible negative I could think of from my time was that they tried to force everyone into going to University when it wasn't the right thing for some people, and they focussed a bit too much on the Oxbridge candidates and let the rest get on with it themselves, but I don't think that's their personal fault, they're just a cog in the system and playing the league tables game.

* I realise a lot of this probably applies to most of the other 6 forms, I've heard equally good things about King Edwards, Notre Dame, Silverdale & High Storrs,

** I am not an employee of Tapton School!

Hi Matthew

I realise you speak as you find but I have to say I had an absolutely fantastic experience at Tapton 6 Form (Coming from outside the lower school) and would recommend it to anyone who is fortunate enough to get a place there. It's a first class from the students to the school generally to the teachers. I don't like naming names but all seven of my teachers were absolutely wonderful and made me achieve brilliant A Level Results coming from very very modest GCSE's.

I would urge anyone not to be put off by thinking you're not good enough to go there, if you are willing to put in the effort yourself the resources at the school mean you'll achieve the best of your ability which i think to almost all will be A's & B's at A Level.

If they are indeed putting the entry grades up this would be a real shame as there wouldn't be success stories such as myself.

I believe the current head of 6 form is one of my old teachers, I don't wish to name them but suffice to say he was first class to me personally, could have a laugh and was just enjoyable company in class.

The only possible negative I could think of from my time was that they tried to force everyone into going to University when it wasn't the right thing for some people, and they focussed a bit too much on the Oxbridge candidates and let the rest get on with it themselves, but I don't think that's their personal fault, they're just a cog in the system and playing the league tables game.

* I realise a lot of this probably applies to most of the other 6 forms, I've heard equally good things about King Edwards, Notre Dame, Silverdale & High Storrs,

** I am not an employee of Tapton School!

That sounds really good and really fair.

I just need to get over myself, I'm still a bit miffed for some reason about getting rejected all those years ago,

Thanks

That sounds really good and really fair.

I just need to get over myself, I'm still a bit miffed for some reason about getting rejected all those years ago,

Thanks

No worries, heard good things about Notre Dame too. Who knows we may have brushed shoulders in the Ranmoor Chippy Queue!!!